PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
From another thread:
I haven't found a burley blend that I like yet. I think I just don't have a taste for it.
I never really know how to answer this question, and figure others have more experience. I usually try a Burley-heavy version of something they already like. If they like Englishes, Engine 99. For medium smokers, Haunted Bookshop. For maniacs, Big 'n' Burley or Old Joe Krantz (

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Most anything from C&D is a great place to start. Morley's Best is one of my favorites, as is Epiphany. I hear good things about Pegasus too, although I haven't tried it....YET that is.
I also like Mountain Camp, and Billy Budd.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
C&D Burley Flake #2. I just started smoking this blend and it is wonderful.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I would second the comment on C&D - for me they are one of the best out there when it comes to burley blends. Old Joe Krantz in far and away my favorite, but Epiphany or any of the burley flakes from C&D may be a better starting point for someone new to burley.
I think burley is one of those where you either get it or you don't - some love it, some hate it, go figure :)

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I suggest go to Solani Aged Burley Flake.If you do not like that,then you are probably not for burley.Carefull though,it'll make you sweat.It ain't light at all.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first intro was Sir Walter Raleigh. Then I tried Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half and Half, Chatham, Prince Andrew, Chestnut and Match ERR.

Since then I've tried many of the more 'boutique' or "premium" blended and produced burleys available.

One of the less expensive burleys I tried was also one I enjoyed near the top of the list, and I confess that I enjoy them all, but, I like having Peter Stokkebye's Pressed Burley on hand. #702.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
You can run the gamut on Burley. There are great blenders of the leaf out there, C&D being among the best. Let's not forget about the offerings from Uhles, Peretti and the variety of OTC out there as well. Though Peretti Burley has never really struck my fancy, you can't go wrong with C&D & Uhles. YMMV.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For real newcomers just edging up to burley, I'd simply start with Lane's Burley Without Bite or Peter Stokkeybye's 702 burley. I guess these are blends, but they are basically burley and will give you an idea of how it tastes. You can add a little Virginia and/or Cavendish to make it slightly more complex, well mixed in. Carter Hall or Prince Albert are also good introductions. I'd keep it real basic until you find out what it tastes like and how you like it. From there, Cornell & Diehl are the current masters of non-aromatic burley blends, but read the descriptions and order in small quantities until you discover what you like. Some of their best burley blends are full strength and may put you off burley if you aren't ready for them. The "starter" blends I've suggested are low to moderate on nicotine so won't set you on your ear. Start slow, and if you find these too mild, you can mix them with other livelier tobaccos. I love burley, but I also know they aren't to everyone's liking.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I thought I wanted to try a burly this summer as well . I got some Prince Albert and to me it was not good sorry to the guy out there that like it but it. Just reminded me of smoking a stale cigarette .

Then I tried H&H classic Burly kake and that is something I can highly recommend.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
+1 on the Classic Burley Kake for a newcomer to burley. Not strong enough to make you spin, not cased enough to smoke wet, and packs and lights easily. For a more robust flavor, I second chasingembers on a dark-fired.

P

pipebuddy

Wessex Burley Slice is awesome, one of my absolute favorites.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Cornell & Diehl are known for their burley blends as McClelland is known for their Virginias. I would recommend Pegasus as a starting point. If you can't handle that, then maybe you just are not suited for burley at this point, but may be down the road when your tastes change.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
It's a VaBur, but Petersons University Flake is tasty. It's got a nice plum topping. It can be a PITA to smoke though, I would dry it and then cub e cut or rub out the flakes. It might be a good intro to burley.

If you are new to pipes in general, my recommendation would be found in many of these suggestions already, but if you're an experienced smoker and want something in burley that'll put swagger in your step, and wow your taste buds, while scrubbing your cranium, C&D Burley Flake #1. The room note smalls like crap, literally. But, man o man for a change of pace and a party on my tongue, I will light it up and head for the porch. Even my fingernails grow hair.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
C&D Burley Flake #2. I just started smoking this blend and it is wonderful
+1 jfox - been experiementing with SPC's C&D Burley Sampler and Flake #2 is my favorite of the lot so far.
That sampler is a good way to try a bunch of different blends. You get 5 tins for the price of 4 and it includes Lunchtime Blues, Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, Burley Flake #2 and Burley Flake #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.