PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
765BF2DE-3A06-47FB-8A4A-054A5BB1D5C8-15117-0000712381B7051A_zpsa897c1c9.jpg

Large Rhodesian, from the bay, another one that Marty Pulvers is gonna ship to me a large 7 sided panel, was on the fence about him when I read Steve Fallon say good things about his pipes.[
BD3B7EEE-B0AF-4AC5-9D4E-56CA846606F2-15117-00007125F06C0B9D_zps06cd475a.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I remember seeing that one and thinking what a gorgeous pipe it was. One of the best looking pipes I've seen in a while. Happy smoking, Bradley.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipesmoking" Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say concerning Mr. Safferling:
"One of Germany's more elusive pipemakers, the quality of his briars can be measured by the fact that he lives in Stuttgart, home of the Porsche and Mercedes-Benz automobiles. Bertram makes approximately 100 pipes a year, which are eagerly sought after by smokers in Germany and Italy, with a few just now being discovered by aficionados in the U.S. His avant garde stylings are what one might call neo-Euro, often appearing more like briar sculptures than pipes, but simplistic in design and still practical as a smoking instrument. Safferling prefers to put a dull matte finish on most of his pipes, which accents their subdued modernistic flair. The bowls are precarbonized with a charcoal and glycerin mixture. The finished briars are graded from 1 to 7, with a 7 being the highest he produces. For his logo, the understated Safferling uses two identical symbols which can be interpreted as twin flames, two birds, or the stylized initials BS. Prior to becoming a pipemaker in 1978, Safferling studied electrical design and fine arts, which no doubt explains the spark of creativity that surges through all of his work."

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I just got the 'tadpole' from Marty Pulvers. It's a medium to small bowl but it sure smokes fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.