PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hello everyone,

I shall be working in Berlin next week. Never been before, so I thought I'd ask our learned brethren of the forum. Anyone recommend a good tobacconist?

Hopefully I'll get the chance to try some of these 'Dan blends', which seem to be so popular with many of you.

Thanks in advance of any info/replies.

Simon.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Not a tobacconist, but a pipe maker: make sure to visit Nils Thomsen: http://www.nilsthomsenpipes.com/englisch/home_en.htm
I love his pipes, and he's a very interesting character. He'll keep talking for (literally) hours, and has loads of interesting stories. He's also a musician and might play some of his CDs. And in the end he'll give you a very good price on the pipes you choose.
One of my favourite pipes is his, and I should have bought more when I was there, but I was only a newbie back then...

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I don't have any good recommendation for tobacconist, but I found that many "regular" tobacconists carry a decent selection of pipe tobacco. I suggest buying Dan tobacco online and have it delivered to your hotel.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Simon, you shall have many opportunities to have good tobaccoes out there in Germany.Tabakwaren are many,maybe best way is to go as Echie suggested in the event you have no time found them locally,>tabak-brücker.de>Tabakland.de

and cigarworld.de these are only a few online retailers to mention. Have a Nice Trip, Paul

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
If all else fails, ask the desk clerk for info on local shops, you might see a few folks out enjoying their pipes so don't be afraid to approach them with your pipe in hand and ask for recommendations, I've always been a fan of "Going Native" in a unfamiliar location, has always paid out well for me.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Simon,
Most of the main stations in Berlin have tobacconists who have a good range of pipe tobacco at reasonable prices. Der Pfeifenladen and Tabak & Pulver are great and there's a number of other decent places in the city that you can look up on the net. Enjoy yourself!
Andy

youdancer

Lurker
Sep 19, 2016
Second what others said about it not being too hard to pick up tobacco on any corner.
https://kiwus-tabak.de/ in Charlottenburg was my favorite B&M while I was there. Friendly, helpful, etc. Fair range of their own blends, although I was much more of a neophyte then.
You could also check out KaDaWe (giant iconic department store,) which I believe sells tobacco and used to make its own blends.
But possibly the best thing about being a pipe smoker in Berlin is that you can fire up in the pub/bar/kniepe. I was really missing that, but have just found a dive bar here in NYC that'll let you smoke. Berlin is almost more friendly to smokers than non-smokers.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Cheers guys, very helpful. Quite looking forward to my week 'wiv Ze Germans'.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Look up Bremen pipe smoker on YouTube. Ask him some questions. If I were in Germany I would try and have a smoke with him. Seems like a knowledgable smoker and frankly just a real cool fella.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Just thought I'd give a follow up on Berlin.

Absolutely loved it there! If any of you have the chance to visit, do so, as its one of those cities,That's 'buzzing' at the moment.

Due to work didn't get any time to search out a good tobbaconist, but found one anyway at 'Alexander Platz' train station, in the centre of town. But the one of the highlights of the trip was the kebab shop a few doors down. Hands down the best donner kebab I've ever had, superb! Along with many other culinary surprises found in Berlin, all washed down with some of the finest beers around. Already looking forward to going back there next year.

A few of the blends I got in Berlin.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Tidy haul Simon. The Dark Virginia Flake looks tasty!

Been a while since I was in Berlin,great kebabs and beer in street vending machines. Very civilised.

Status
Not open for further replies.