PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one belongs to forum member fnord. He contacted me after spotting the pipe on Ebay and wondered if it was made by Sasieni. It was and I advised him that it looked like good buy. I volunteered to restore should he be successful in the purchase. The pipe was indeed in great shape and I enjoyed restoring this one. The full details are on the Reborn Pipes site:
Reborn Pipes - Berkley Club Restoration
The bowl has a small well near the bottom, which I've never seen before.
berkley_club_779r_before-1.jpg

berkley_club_779r_before-4.jpg

After
berkley_club_779r_finish-1.jpg

berkley_club_779r_finish-5.jpg

berkley_club_779r_finish-3.jpg

berkley_club_779r_finish-6.jpg

berkley_club_779r_finish-4.jpg

berkley_club_779r_finish-2.jpg

berkley_club_779r_finish-9-e1508076994430.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
779 R, yes the Danzey. The R is for...Rustic. I'd say an older pipe, possibly pre-war, but more likely early post-war going by the style of the rustication, and also as Sasieni had consolidated the number of seconds lines it seems by the 1950's. The drilling...don't know what happened there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That well is curious. It's perfectly centered and aligned with the draft hole, so I believe it was made that way from the factory.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
First time I ever saw that well type drilling aswell! Good looking pipe nonetheless

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Al:
I value you as a wonderful mod, as a go-to authority on many pipe lines from the U.K and, most importantly, as a friend.
Thank you for always being willing to share your knowledge and, in this case, your excellent restoration skills.
I've adopted Marty Pulver's rule for an ideal smoker: the bowl must comfortably accommodate my thumb and this Rhodesian is the largest pipe I've ever owned from the extended Sasieni family.
Can't wait to get it. Can't wait to smoke it.
Thanks, pal.
Fnord

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The differences between a billiard tobacco chamber and a bulldog chamber are that the bulldog typically offers a more shallow, wider rim opening 'bowl' that is easily cleared after use. (Not so sure about this one.)

The billiard's chamber is typically taller and its walls, of course, more parallel.

Maybe that was made for a mini chamber for a 'desiccant'?

Very nice resto, Al, and a nice looking bulldog. Old wood is the best wood.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You are welcome Jim, I enjoyed working on that one (so much, I bought a Sasieni Windsor in the same shape on Sunday). I'm curious as to how it smokes for you, I'm betting well.
I dont' like some 2nds offerings, as typically the stems are sub-par (The Guildhall pipes for example). Sasieni 2nd line pipes seem to have a first line stem, at least in materials. The button might not be as finely shaped as a Four Dot, but they have the same mouth-feel. I'm curious as to the effects of that well.
I didn't find a lot of Berkley Club examples, but a few had bowl shots. None had that well, so that is even more curious.
This place was the king of Berkley Club pipes.

http://www.vkpipes.com/pipeline/category/sasieni
img-6320_1_orig.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Al:
The Berkley Club arrived today and I'm just finishing my 2nd bowl of Nightcap. As expected, it smokes like a charm, pal, and your restoration was greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Fnord

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
a pipe can get a step in the bottom of the bowl if it has a tapered chamber and it is reamed with certain reamers. Some of the older reamers that were around when the pipe was made could certainly do this to a pipe.
doc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think it was factory, because if it were made with a reamer, it wouldn't have been so uniform. And, the bowl thickness at the top is standard for that shape. I think it was drilled that way from the get-go.
The metal tube is just a simple straw, ala Dunhill. I removed it, but included it back with the pipe. I suspect fnord is using the pipe sans-tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.