PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Can anyone shine some light on what exactly these are? I couldn't find a lot of information - are they related to the car brand? If so, would one need to listen to rap while smoking?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some remote inkling that they were marketed in association with the automobile brand. If that's true, the question is, who made them? As with house pipes at pipe retailers, sometimes this is difficult to ascertain to preserve the identity with the retailer. But since it was Bentley, I assume it would be an upscale (very upscale) pipe maker. I'm fascinated (being an ancient car buff) that you immediately associate the Bentley automobile with rap! I guess it's true that rap artists are a concentration of high earners who can actually afford the cars, but I didn't know they had so identified with the brand. I wonder how hedge fund managers and oil men feel about that. The brand has an interesting history; I think Bentley split off from its mother company Rolls Royce and is now, maybe, German owned. You see them (Bentleys) tooling around Manhattan, and the thought of driving a car that costs as much as a house through Manhattan traffic gives me pause. Maybe a Ford Focus ... or something.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
https://hyphyhiphop.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/carbrandsinrap/
Top 10 car brands in Rap Songs. Maybach and Bentley are mentioned often in popular rap music these days.
Even if I had the money I don't think I would buy one. Like you, the thought of driving a car of that cost around in traffic these days is terrifying! I can afford a nicer car than I have but that money is better spent elsewhere. Like tobacco :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a link, not very detailed, but showing some connection to the car marque:
http://www.gubbelspipes.com/en/brands/bentley
I believe gubbels is The Netherlands pipe maker that makes Big Ben pipes, so a good, but not in itself ultra high end.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I own two Bentley pipes that I bought from the spc German estates category. I don't really know much about them. They were listed as "Former Designs". Both were about $100 apiece. What I can tell you is that they are very well made and amongst my best, most enjoyed smokers. Here's pics:
bentley-danish.jpeg

bentley-pot.jpeg

I like to think of them as my "poor man's Dunhills". Both of mine, and most of those I've seen since, are 9mm filter pipes... which is what I smoke. They have a very fine "feel" of quality, to me anyway. I would like to acquire more at some point. They are both lighter and more trim than are often findable in 9mm pipes.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Incidently, spc still has half a dozen Bentley's or so for sale under German Estates. Maybe more info would be there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.