PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I seem to find that bent stems or bent bowls are more comfortable to clench and just easier for me to use.

I had a couple of bent stemmed MM cobs that always gave me trouble with passing a cleaner due to the crink in their bends so, I lit up a tea candle and modified them to my delight.

That gave me the idea to look around at my rotation and I found some candidates for the treatment that were either lucite or ebonite, probably some of each.

So, I went one for two initially, because I broke the second one by not heating it enough before I pressured it.

Now, though, I've got another four pipes with a nice little bend where they were straight before and they're much nicer to use.

I did have one other 'failure' but it didn't completely ruin the stem. It seems a yello-bole brylon stem is rather impervious to heat except to bubble.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey Mike ... sounds like a fun pipe project day was had! :)
The bent vs straight choice is mood driven for me.
While reading or playing online poker, I will usually grab a bent.
Otherwise, it's just what the hand reaches for after the brain picks a tobacco! :puffy:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I started with both bent and straight, and discovered I like the straight pipe more. However, when I started to cletch my pipe, I found bent ones more comfortable and natural in my mouth. Piping is an journey of discovery in likes and dislikes: I always thought I would like or prefer long, straight, narrow pipes, but discovered I preferred the chunky, shorter form of pipes like Peterson. The 107 straight Peterson is my favorite straight billiard; the 221 bent Peterson is my favorite bent pipe, and in addition more comfortable to clench, because the weight of the bowl is closer to the mouth.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have only two straight pipes which happens to be a Sav. Oscar Tiger and a MM cob. I also tend to clench more often than not so straight pipes don't sit at all well with me and I only purchase bents. Yes, you're right that the bent stems on MM cobs are quite ridiculous as they are simply given a sharp bend (something I'll never understand) which is a royal PITA. I have one that I put up with, but most of my MM cobs are fitted with bent Forever Stems.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yes, cobguy, it was kinda fun and a learning experience too. I always feel like I should do more to my stems to maintain them, but this was just something I bounded into while trying to make my bent cob stems less obstructive.

I still need to set up 'shop' with a wheel and what not to motivate me to do better stemwork.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I preferred the chunky, shorter form of pipes
There's a batch fitting that description on the auction site. Nice looking pipes. Likely 50's era stubbies from Roger's and Weber. 5 of those and a nice Danish canted billiard for $100.00/$15.00 shipping...very tempting little deal right there.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Most of my pipes are bent stems too. I am only an occasional clencher but I just find them to be more pleasing to my eye and more comfortable in hand. :puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The same applies to me, albeit it's hard to define. I guess it's just a simply a matter of not finding straight pipes pleasing to my eye, aside from finding them unpleasant/uncomfortable to clench. That's not to say the ones I have don't smoke well, but I rarely reach for them.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I have more straight pipes by far. I need a very particular bend for it to be comfortable. But I have some that fit and I like 'em.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never thought about it before reading this thread, but I actually do not own a completely straight pipe. Not a frequent clencher, but the bents I own always clench comfortably.

Jan 8, 2013
Although I prefer bent pipes, which are more pleasing to my eye, I rarely clench. So for those few times I do clench, it depends on the pipe's length and weight.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Here I thought I was one of the few bent pipe lovers! LOL
The only straight pipes I own are very light, say about 35 grams or so. Otherwise every one is bent from a 1/8 to a full Dunhill Oom Paul
Long live the bents!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think out of my 35 pipes I have 4 straights. The rest are all bent to some degree. I do find the bents a bit easier to clench. Typically when I'm enjoying a bowl I'm listening to the Pipes Magazine Radio Show #ShamelessPlug or surfing the net on the laptop and I find the bents make it easier to clench and type.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's simple leverage. Bent pipes don't put as much weight bearing on your teeth. The heavier a pipe, the more being bent matters. I think about a third of my pipes are straight, and another third are only somewhat bent. I like the straightforward look of straight pipes, the ease of cleaning them, and the way it puts lighting the pipe right in front of me. But bent pipes have a pleasing casual look.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I love the bents! But for the ease of cleaning like MSO said, straights are a bit easier to find and clean. I enjoy the bent for the clench as well as the look, just a great overall look. Glad I'm not the only one:)

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Bent stems are certainly more comfortable to clench, but a clenched straight billiard is a classic and striking look--For those of us who go in for that sort of thing. 8)
I came around to straight stems after I realized I was tired of arbitrating disputes between my bent Peterson and my pipe cleaners. Can't you two just get along!? :cry:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
mso mirrors my feeling on bent vs straight, although I find straights a little better-looking. Why? I have no idea, except the straight pipe is simpler, and I tend to link things simple. (This is the reason my art work is black and white: I love the simplicity of black ink on white paper.)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The 'bends' I'm putting onto my billiards are gentle and are done with a cleaner installed to the bowl. Just a gentle curve is all it takes to take that baby out of my sight line and to reduce the weight at my teeth, sorta.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I agree that there's a 'sweet spot' there. My first pipe was that fully bent Peterson that I picked up at a local-ish b&m, with few other options (i.e. a churchwarden and a few basked pipes). When it came time to buy a second, I spent days looking over the Internet for the 'right' pipe--what I originally thought a pipe should be. What I finally settled on was a Stanwell Silke Brun 179--a lightly bent stem with an apple shaped bowl. It was a WORLD of difference passing a pipe cleaner. Now it's my dedicated Latakia pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.