PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinoaskhim

Lurker
Apr 2, 2016
I am in the market for a new pipe and wanted some input from the community. My first concern is comfort. Does a more bent pipe hold better in your teeth? I have two pipes and the more bent one feels easier/less heavy to hold between my teeth. As I still prefer my straight pipe I just wanted to know if very bent pipe is the most comfortable to hold in mouth.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Every pipe and ever pipe smoker is different. You have asked an unanswerable question. Only experience and lots of trial / error can give you an answer.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
+1 winton
A lot of it depends on your bite. I prefer bents, mostly full. Your choice will depend on your jaw, your bite, etc. It's like tobacco blends, all I can say is what I like or do. Give it a while and your mouth, teeth and jaw will tell you what is comfy.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Everybody does have a different bite. I use weight more than shape for clenchers, but that's me.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
More often than not: those that tend to clench a pipe prefer a bent, but it's certainly not a steadfast rule and only you can decide what is most comfortable. Personally, I prefer a bent, but I rarely clench a pipe for any length of time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All things being equal, which rarely they are, a bent pipe of the same weight as a straight will for most people feel lighter. This is due to the mass of the bowl being closer to the bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No question a straight pipe of equal weight exerts more leverage on your teeth and jaw than a fully bent. The logic is, I guess, a slightly bent pipe is closer to a straight one in this regard, and a half or more bent pipe is more like a fully bent. At some point, the differences become incremental and minute. But if you have fragile teeth or a jaw problem, a light weight fully bent pipe will go easier on your body. That's why a lever is used to move heavy objects, because it amplifies force. Other factors include the material of the stem -- vulcanite is said to be gentler on the teeth than acrylic/lucite -- and the width and size of the bit/button. You have to judge the comfort of those for yourself, but some people are intensely sensitive to those.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I prefer bent pipes because I like the way they feel when I clench them but you'll just have to see what you prefer.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I agree with the other gents.

In my experience it doesn't matter how heavy is a bent pipe... if you can lean it on your chin!

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I remember hearing years ago that bents were more comfortable for clenching, so I tried it with my 1/2 bent, and didn't really think so. So I bought a 3/4 bent. No real difference for me (but a great excuse to buy a new pipe!)

If I'm in a "clench for a long period" situation like yard work or camp site chores, I'm usually smoking a small cob which is very light anyway. I guess I'm trying to say, it doesn't make a difference for me, but your experience may be different. Even if you buy a bent and it doesn't make a difference for you, you still have a different pie to smoke!
EDIT: oops "pipe" not "pie"... although I do like pie, and haven't tried smoking it yet

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Actually, the only time I clench is when I need two hands to do something like open my zippo.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Actually, the only time I clench is when I need two hands to do something like open my zippo.
Are you sure you didn't mean zipper as I've never needed two hands to open a Zippo? :wink:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I clench and don't own a bent pipe while all my pipes are very comfortable. I smoke most often while driving and laying on the couch. Straight pipes allow me to move my head freely without fear of hitting anything with my pipe.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
The level of comfort depends mostly on the weight of the bowl itself. The length of the stem and shank put together, and the material of the bit also affect it.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Tough one. I have mostly straights in my 30 or so pipes, but I must admit the bent pipes are more comfortable. The problem is they are harder to smoke. Now don't start throwing things, guys. But you can't clean a full bent while smoking, and so has a tendency to gurgle.

I just looked over the collection, and not counting the Nordings I have only three full (?) bents, all Petersons: an Irish Harp and Dracula 221, and a Dracula 69. Perhaps I need to expand my bent collection? Aesthetically I prefer straights so perhaps I haven't looked over enough bents, or am I smoking them wrong? Open to suggestions.

Bent pipes may or may not be more comfortable, but before comfort, comes image. Like I want everyone to see me walking around with a saggy, flaccid thing hanging out of my mouth? No way, me? I want the world to see my straight, erect pipe standing at attention.
Besides, try smiling with a bent pipe in your clench. A bent pipe makes the smoker look like a sad walrus that just lost his territory and harem of cows on the beach. "Oh whoa is me."
A straight pipe makes you look ready to fight or f#@k. "Bring it on, whatever it is!!!"

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
For me, I prefer straights when I'm on the move. Lunting and the like. Bents I prefer when I'm still, seated or just chilling.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Cos, you got guts. I often wonder about any psychological readings one might make over a preference for a straight pipe. What then for the "flaccid" bent? :D

Yeh, my wife pointed out that one of my friends who only smokes bent pipes and has a big mustache, looks like Eyore. And, when he does smile, it's like, "Holy Crap that's weird."

I have a few a few bent pipes, and I've stood in front of a mirror before, trying to smile with the damned things. It's not easy, and when you do, it looks creepy. But, with a straight pipe, it's really easy to smile.
Also, everytime I smoke my pipe in public, there's always someone who comes up and wants to talk. With a straight pipe, they want to reminisce, joke around, or just ask directions. When I have a bent pipe, they just want to know if everything is ok? "You alright?"
Comfort be damned. I want a randy pipe, and not some small pea shooter. Give me a big bulldog with a tapered stem. I'll save my bent pipes for when my dog dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.