PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
Hi all,

I'm a new member on this forum and a relatively new pipe smoker.

I'm drawn to the bent bulldog shape and currently smoke and enjoy a Bjarne Viking sandblast w yellow Rhodesian but I want to add a bent bulldog to my circulation.

I've looked around and like the Big Ben Classic 470 and Royal Dutch 470 on the PC site. They are close in sale price but a big difference in regular retail price. There is a stem shape difference as well and I'm a bit more drawn to the Classic 470 stem shape.

Can anyone tell me their experience with this brand and model? As well as any suggestions/advice regarding the bent bulldog. I prefer a smaller size in pipe and this size is at the max I'd prefer.

Thanks,

Mike

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
You might want to take look at Peterson's line of bent bulldogs/Rhodesians. I always thought they had some of the best designs in a reasonable price rage. You can get most in either P-lip of Fishtail.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Big Ben pipes are made in The Netherlands and are carefully engineered in the Dutch way, I've heard. I don't own one. Having been to Amsterdam and elsewhere in The Netherlands, and having a Dutch brother-in-law, I would say the Dutch are careful workmen and craftsmen and have a love for doing products with precision. So I don't think you'll have a problem with that aspect of these pipes. Many Big Ben pipes have 9 mm filters. I generally don't smoke filter pipes, or I use adapters for Savenelli and other 6 mm filter pipes. But if you don't mind the 9 mm filters, or these pipes are offered without them (and I think Big Ben does make some non-filter pipes) all is well. As for one of the pipes being discounted or more discounted than the other, I wouldn't buy it for that reason unless it appeals to you more. I have found deeply discounted pipes that I really like to be great; you get the luxury of a better finish and more design features. But don't shop just for a discount unless you really like the item. I think Big Ben are established products of high quality. Just make sure you are getting what you want, filter or not, and in terms of visual appeal to you.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
Thanks for the info mso489...I did not realize they used a filter...the info on the site states "drinkless" and I misunderstood I guess.

I do not want a filtered pipe and will search further but suggestions are appreciated.

The Royal Dutch does not use a filter the site states.

magrathean

Lurker
Mar 28, 2015
Lubbock, TX
I have a Nording Viking bent bulldog that I purchased from pipesandcigars.com. It's certainly not your typical bulldog design, but I enjoy mine and it's always provided a great smoke. Ironically, it's what I was puffing on when I read the OP. I think Nordings are good quality pipes for the price, especially when they're on sale, like now.
Some Nording Vikings

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just noticed that the Royal Dutch Bowl Inner Dia. is 0.8"

I think that's a much better size for the squat bulldog to develop fuller flavor and thicker smoke by involving more tobacco area.

Status
Not open for further replies.