PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This analysis of the pro's and cons of nicotine is pretty well balanced and interesting.

http://www.gwern.net/Nicotine
Since I had just smoked my pipe, I didn't bookmark the URL, I'll just remember it.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Odd the article didn't mention the 40% reduction in Alzheimer's nor the 70% reduction in Parkinson's.

The problem with most research on tobacco is that researchers fail to recognize that the "dose determines the poison". Of course I can make animals get cancer by making them smoke 5 packs a day.. but what about 5 single cigarettes a day?

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
For me, personally, I do not need a study (as in-depth and well written as this one seems to be) to tell me that I am not addicted to pipe smoking. Ive smoked a pipe 3-times daily for a couple years, and completely put it down for a couple months, with no need to pick it up.
As it so happens, the 2-month cease was for my mother, to prove to her that it was not addicting. She believed me afterwards. Heheh

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My personal experience is that a nice relaxing pipe smoke is very healthy for some of the people at my work. It has prevented me from choking the crap out of a couple of them.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
My personal experience is that a nice relaxing pipe smoke is very healthy for some of the people at my work. It has prevented me from choking the crap out of a couple of them.
A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
This, exactly.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I need to send that URL around to all of my family and friends. At the very least, they can stop viewing smoking as something I do merely to irritate them.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Excellent article. Packed with links to research. Bookmarked it.
I first read in 1982 of a positive effect of nicotine in Steven Rose's book The Conscious Brain. It mimics acetylcholine. There's a link in the posted article on that topic from '97, but I haven't read it to see if this is wholly correct.

http://www.gwern.net/docs/nicotine/1998-levin.pdf

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I thought I read somewhere, or maybe I heard... Stephen King stated something along the lines that the nicotine (he smokes or smoked cigarettes) is what helped his creativity and helped him focus.
Im almost positive thats what it was... but I could be wrong.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Interesting, but I'm pretty sure many of those references wouldn't stand up to medical/scientific scrutiny. What qualifies as acceptable research is narrow.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
It mimics acetylcholine
Actually, nicotine up regulates the nicotinic acetylecholine receptors in the brain. The very receptors that loose sensitivity and die as part of the Alzheimer's pathology.

Status
Not open for further replies.