PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I ran across this and just had to share. lol. BTW I work in the corporate world and am leaving my current job for a new job in a week. The warning my current boss gave me this morning was "gonna be the same $***, just a different color. Have fun." So this may seem a bit funnier to me then others, but I still wanted to share it.
dt130701.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Dutch brother-in-law has a good saying: "Sometimes a change is as good as a rest." I think lives and

careers require some tweaking and adjusting from time to time. Long into my career at a health research

agency, a political dust-up pushed me into a job I had explored years before. At that late point in my career,

I wasn't altogether pleased, mostly because it hadn't been at my request. However, it turned out well, a

pleasing change. It didn't hurt that I coasted for a while until my new boss figured out how I fit in the

new spot, but then I had all the work I could handle, in an area which I strongly approved. So good luck with

your new post. Take it as an adventure and use the change to freshen your approach and creativity and

expand your own horizons. Usually these changes are beneficial to a person, in the short term at least,

and sometimes in the long run.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
At that late point in my career,

I wasn't altogether pleased, mostly because it hadn't been at my request. However, it turned out well, a

pleasing change.
There's a book called Necessary Endings by Dr. Henry Cloud that is essentially the exploration of the topic that often in life, we come to "necessary endings" or changes that are hard, even painful.....but often the result is something positive.
So the idea that letting someone go because they aren't a good fit at the company....in the long run may help them find a place where they excel and are much happier.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
My position is the perfect example of "If you do what you love, you never work a day in your life."
Russ

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
often in life, we come to "necessary endings" or changes that are hard, even painful.....but often the result is something positive.
Been there, just recently. In retrospect, I should have left my previous job about 3-4 years earlier on my own terms, but being forced out gave me some motivation that I had been lacking. Now I'm ramping up in a new position, learning different skills, and I get Friday afternoons off... :D

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sometimes a change is as good as a rest
MSO... this is exactly how I feel. With every job I have ever had, I have always felt there comes a time when I just need to move on.
So the idea that letting someone go because they aren't a good fit at the company....in the long run may help them find a place where they excel and are much happier.
tarak...This is what I am looking for. In my industry it is quite common to see someone resume and see they have only spent between 2 and 4 years at every company they have worked for, always chasing the money. In every job interview I Have had in my professional career I tell them I am looking for the place to develop my career and the place that wants/appreciates me as much as I want to be there.
My position is the perfect example of "If you do what you love, you never work a day in your life."
For me this is a bit of a misnomer. I am not sure exactly what I want to do. What I do know I want is a certain lifestyle and to be able to be comfortable in that lifestyle while providing everything my family needs / wants (need listed first for a reason.) So I want to do what ever I need to do to make that happen. I have been fortunate/blessed enough to have been given the brain power to be able to do just about anything. As long as I can tolerate what I do during the day and enjoy the people I do it with, it doesn't much matter to me.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I don't have the best paying job in the world but, I look forward to getting up and going to work everyday.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
mp31guitar, you're a lucky man. I loved what I did but I also knew when it was time to fold 'em. I wish everyone here all the best in what they do and if you're lucky enough to get out whole and be comfortable in life so much the better. Do not be defined by what you do but how you do it.

Aug 14, 2012
I worked like a slave for 20 years as a restaurant, banquet and private club manager. The money was good. Since leaving that very stressful business I have had three businesses of my own, the last two successful. I am recently retired, but the past 30 years have been so much more meaningful, interesting and less stressful than the first 20.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
One door closes and another door opens.
I agree with Russ -

Except yesterday, I really didn't work. I went to the beach, had shrimp and beer for brunch, then came home and practiced tying a bow tie for tonight's black tie event, then I went to Red Mesa Cantina and got plowed on margaritas and ate great Mexican food.
However, even on days that I am doing what is officially "work", it usually doesn't seem like it.
Many times, when I'm running an errand in the middle of the work day and someone asks me; "Are you working today?" - I typically answer, "I don't know. Define work."
So yes. I love what I do.
Getting back to the office humor, I highly recommend the movie: Office Space. (I've been in the corporate world too.)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
In one week, my job will move to a different city. My daily commute will decrease from 70 miles to 25. That makes me very happy. But I will give up my cube for a space on a long table. The boss is at one end and the team will sit on both sides across from each other. Technically, we will have the same desk space, but we will be able to see / hear everything going on around us. It is called Open Office space. That will be different. Trying very hard to be open minded about it.
Winton

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
I am a tenured college professor and have been exclusively involved in undergraduate education since earning my PhD in 1990. I love teaching and can't imagine anything else I would rather do. To me academia is more of a lifestyle than a job. It is who I am moreso than what I do.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
On the other hand, the thing about doing nothing is that you're never caught up. There's always tomorrow to get nothing done. The days, months and even years fly by. I sometimes reflect that I've been retired for 5 1/2 years and have accomplished nothing in that time. And then I sit back, light my pipe and give a contented sigh. This is truly my calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.