PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I finally got around to cleaning up the Estella pipe I got last month. It's freakin' HUGE.
estella1-600x449.jpg

Looking over my current pipe rotation, I didn't see a place for it, blend wise, so I just began rooting through the cellar for inspiration.
I got to a box of oddities, one of catyrpelius' "mystery box" acquisitions. It's full of aromatics, which are, to date, foreign territory.
I grabbed the first tin I saw, Sillem's Blue. Limes, maple and caramel over burley, cavendish and Virginia tobacco.
Sounded repulsive to me. So, of course, I loaded it up. It actually works, taste-wise. A good first impression.
My understanding is that most aro tobaccos are relatively low nic, so the size of the pipe should also be a good fit.
Now that I'm somewhat trained on moisture, packing and cadence, I look forward to adding this new dimension to my smoking.
No real point here. Just sharing my activity and related thoughts.
jay-roger.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I started out with aros, and then once I began to "get" Vas, VaPers, and particularly English blends I went full goofball on them and didn't smoke an aro for months. When I went back to them they turned out to be a totally different experience than when I first started out. Much more pleasurable. I include them in a somewhat organized rotation now (VA, VAper, Va/Bur, Burley, lighter English, Heavier English, Aromatic, Gawith Rope/other beast, repeat). That usually takes about a month at my pace, haha, and the rules/rotation is often broken.
ANYHOW, there are just too many of the damn things out there and some of them sound absolutely refonkulous (like your aforementioned Sillem's) so it will be a slow process but eventually I'm sure I'll find the perfect pineapple banana cinnamon cream vanilla chocolate raspberry bourbon tonquin rose petal blend for me.
So far Nording Hunter's blend Labrador (unfortunately) is one of my faves, as well as a local blend by G&P Tobaccos called Stoney's Blend. Fan of Scotty's Trout Stream, Angler's Dream as well, and also Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream.
Mostly always smoked in Cobs, due to my fear of ghosts. :oops:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hahaha, neither am I honestly if the briar is not one dedicated to specific blend types. With one exception, that being those on the upper end of the patented jaytex969 Lakeland Sauce Scale. They make me want to sleep with the lights on. The two lakeland pipes I use sit in a far corner with their heads turned toward the wall.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Don't punish those Lakeland pipes...they don't deserve to be treated that way...they served your function very well and should be at least taken to lunch for their efforts.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Don't punish those Lakeland pipes...they don't deserve to be treated that way...they served your function very well and should be at least taken to lunch for their efforts.
I didn't put them there, they do it on their own. I put them back in the rotation every night before bed and in the morning they have migrated to one corner or another. *eerie horror movie music*

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
I enjoy my English's, Aro's, Virginia's, all at the proper time, proper mood and drink. The only constant is a good hot, fresh Cup of Joe. Must be hot enough to make your lip quiver though... :crying:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The only constant is a good hot, fresh Cup of Joe.
My only regret about being a once a week smoker is that I rarely get to smoke early in the day. There are few things better in this world than a hot cup of delicious coffee and a bowl full of VA/VaPer or a Connecticut Cigar.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
"Don't punish those Lakeland pipes...they don't deserve to be treated that way...they served your function very well and should be at least taken to lunch for their efforts.
I didn't put them there, they do it on their own. I put them back in the rotation every night before bed and in the morning they have migrated to one corner or another. *eerie horror movie music* "
Stranger things have happened..I bought a cd of Ky. fiddler music for a friend and now has disappeared (the cd, not the friend).

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I was a pure English smoker. Then migrated to VaPers/Virginias. Then started picking up some aros that are very fruit flavored. I must say that I do enjoy them a lot.
As p40 mentioned. Everything has it's place and time. A big hot cup of joe seems like it's my most frequent companion with the pipe. Occasionally hot tea if I want to change things up a bit. Diet Coke/Pepsi on ice if it's brutally hot on the back porch.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Alaskanpiper, I too very much enjoy Labrador Blend. Even as an English smoker it is hard to beat it in the morning with a cup of coffee.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I seem to be more picky about aromatics, needing them to be tobacco forward, but having the flavoring give the tobaccos a distinct boost. I don't want the flavoring to be the main taste. When you find a few you really like, they provide nice variety in rotation. Some aros are just too mild, so neither the tobacco nor the flavoring gives much. Then again, mild tobaccos can be excellent, selectively.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've been working on a jar of Russ O's Match Hickory that I got in trade, as well as getting into this Sillem's now.
One thing I'm coming to appreciate about at least these two aro's is the low nicotine.
If you just want to smoke a lot and not worry about nic overload, these will allow you to do so.
I'm sure I will some day encounter an aro with a bigger nic hit, but for now, I can chain a few bowls when I feel so inclined.
jay-roger.jpg

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I also started on aromatics and nearly quit. Most aros need to be smoked with a slow cadence and good overall technique. I’ve enjoyed a few aromatics lately and will continue the journey slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.