PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
New Ser Jacopo that I have just started breaking in. I have smoked 5 bowls so far on this, two half bowls first, followed by three full bowls with PS Luxury Navy Flake. The first four bowls, the tobacco was fully rubbed out, the last was cube cut.
First four bowls were smoked very slowly, in fact it took me two full Saturdays to smoke the first two full bowls. Pipe never felt more than slightly warm. On the second full bowl, the tobacco was likely too tightly packed, and the last 1/4 to 1/5 of the bowl ended up being wet dottle and would not burn. When I dumped it, the bottom of the bowl was very wet, so I wiped it out with a towel, and what little cake I had formed on the bottom of the bowl mostly disappeared. At that point, I did not see the black spot. Might have missed it, but I doubt it, the bottom of the chamber was pretty clean.
The spot/depression has shown up after the fifth bowl. On this one, I ended up losing the last 1/4 of the bowl when I went to dump some ash. As such, I was not able to smoke it the full way down. As you can see, there is no significant cake formation this low in the bowl. As such, I don't know how the bowl could have got scorched this far down on this last go around.
The area doesn't seem too soft, you can see the marks around the area made by the pick on my pipe tool, but it definitely is a depression, although slight. Given the location, I have to think that if this is the beginning of burnout, it has to be a void in the briar. Should I try to get some pipe mud to stick and then try to get some cake to form? Or just continue to smoke it slowly and hope for the best. I assume once I can get some cake in the area, that the issue will resolve itself? If it truly is a flaw in the briar, am I am up the creek?
Bought the pipe from Al Pascia, so I don't now that it is worth the trouble to follow up with them given the hassles in shipping and customs. Even if it was, I feel weird making this problem theirs since they are not at fault, and neither really is the pipe maker.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
It's difficult determine from the photo and I've never experienced a burn out. I'm curious though and makes me question if once a burn out begins can you avoid more damage by simply by not smoking the bowl all the way down to near the burn out?

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Perhaps use a metal gauze filter in the bottom of the bowl from now on? Might protect it if you are worried
Dri_Kule_Metal_Gauze_Pipe_Filters.jpg

I don't think that is burnout. However, piddling around with the bowl is not helping the break in of this pipe. Yes, yes, yes, I don't like cake in my pipes and I ream mine out with a paper towel after every smoke to keep the cake out. However, you have to let some carbon build up, or else you will constantly taste burning briar as you smoke it.
Even if there is visible water at the bottom of the bowl, leave it. Wiping out the heel of the pipe will just make breaking in the pipe take longer. After smoking just run a pipe cleaner through it, at least until you get an even black carbon layer. Then you can do whether you want, ream with paper towel, etc...
But no, I don't think that is burnout. You seem to be very aware while you smoke. Burn out usually happens when one looses track and smokes like a freight train. And, that spot on the bottom of the un-carbonized bowl looks as if it hasn't seen any good heat yet, with the lack of carbon.
I don;t know what that spot is, but the bowl looks as if it's never even been smoked.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Nope, not a burnout.
(When the real thing happens, you'll know without having to ask. :lol: )

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
Thanks guys. I scraped at it some more and there is hard virgin briar just underneath. I could see it being a chatter mark or chip from the drilling process I suppose.
As for the cake thing, I would like to develop enough to be able to smoke the pipe out in the wind without worrying about burnout. It is always windy where I live.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Smoke it, wipe it lightly with a paper towel for the first little while and it should even up pretty nicely. One of my estate pipes had a little chip in the side of the chamber...I just left it alone, and smoked it. Wouldn't even know it's there now. As for building up cake to smoke it outside, it really doesn't take very much. There comes a point where extra cake seems to make no difference. Before I learned all of this, I probably had close enough to a centimeter of cake built up, I got rid of it. After I did so, the first few smokes were a bit warm; then when re-broken in no problems. Thickness of a dime

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ser Jacopo uses high quality briar and has strong quality control. I doubt this is burnout. I think once you get the pipe broken in, there won't be a problem.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have a cheapie basket billiard that came equipped with a hole on the inside of the chamber, about 1/16" diameter and depth. It just filled in with carbon and has not been a problem at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If it's really windy outside, cake will help, but not guarantee against a burnout. Take something to cap the bowl! It will also help keep the smoke cooler.

Reactions: Grazer
Status
Not open for further replies.