PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimaustin

Lurker
Jun 30, 2017
I smoked my first pipe almost 30 years ago, but for me it has always been off and on. Probably my best pipe-smoking days were in grad school in North Carolina before the antismoking laws. I'd smoke Captn Black as I contemplated the secrets of the universe. (I was studying physics.) Since then, I've picked it up again every few years. I get excited about it for a while, then it fades.
One reason it fades: There are damn few tobaccos I enjoy. After all these years, I'm starting to think I wasn't cut out to be a pipe smoker. (The intermittent character of my smoking might have clued me in.)
I remember the first time I picked up some Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, probably 12 or so years ago. Packed it up, lit it, and--ASH! That's what I tasted. Ash.
Then a few days ago, Haddo's Delight. Open the tin, smell that prune/berry flavor. (Surely that's a casing?) Smells nice. Pack up, light up: Ash!
It hasn't always been that way, not with every tobacco. I've consistently enjoyed Dunhill's Nightcap, although I find the buzz a little strong. For a while I smoked Frog Morton; what is that odd taste? Soap? At least it was something, and whatever it was, I enjoyed it.
I occasionally smoke cigars. They taste like cigars--not ash, no ash at all, and I taste subtle differences among them. I even enjoy, occasionally, some cigarettes: I like that basic tobacco flavor. I've never been a regular smoker of anything; it's just something I do occasionally and enjoy it.
I've used a wide variety of pipes. I've got a couple of Dunhills. Stanwells. Savinelli. I've got one of those big, rough Castellos. (Remind me to tell you about the gorgeous, early Sixten Ivarsson I bought for $30 in a nautical antique store. I'm such an idiot.)
So, why write? Maybe, I'm deciding, after all these years, smoking a pipe just isn't for me. But before I give it up--anything I should try?
Jim

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess there is no blend or pipe that is going to magically win you over. Probably the pipe is just not the way you are going to enjoy tobacco. So cigars may be the way to go. I could make a number of recommendation of unusual and/or especially good blends ... for me. But I doubt I'm going to hit on anything that would transform your pipe experience. Cigars are nice; I'm just a pipe guy. And I think you're just a cigar guy.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you like the occasional cigar or cigarette, then maybe seek some pipe tobaccos containing similar leaves.
I'm a noob with no specific brand recommendation but the experts will be along soon.
Welcome to the board. These guys rock!
jay-roger.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Jim, I can relate. When I first started smoking (having previously smoked cigars off and on), I also got mostly hot, ashy flavors. I truly couldn't tell the difference between Early Morning Pipe and any other English blend - they all tasted like hot air. The key, as many here will tell you, is careful packing -- not too tight, not too loose, and slow, careful smoking. Ideally, you should be able to just keep the tobacco lit, allowing it to smolder. It takes a little practice, and your palate will become more sensitive over time as well.
I remember my early days of pipe smoking -- fighting like a fiend just to keep the damn thing lit. Once you get packing down pat, try not to puff too fast. You can take long, easy draws (I typically do), but you don't want to huff and puff. Again, careful packing makes the difference.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
This may be a no brainer, but do you dry your tobaccos adequately before packing and smoking? Nearly every blend I tried in the early days tasted like hot air because they were too moist (they also scorched my mouth and throat due to hot steam).
Secondly, maybe you can try a different full-flavored Latakia blend. If Nightcap is too strong, try Ashton Artisan's or GL Pease's Quiet Nights.

jimaustin

Lurker
Jun 30, 2017
Just so I understand, by "longtime smoker" you don't mean you smoke cigarettes, right?
No. I mean I started smoking a pipe nearly 30 years ago. I just do it for a while, then quit, then start again. Rarely finish a tin, to be honest.

jimaustin

Lurker
Jun 30, 2017
This may be a no brainer, but do you dry your tobaccos adequately before packing and smoking? Nearly every blend I tried in the early days tasted like hot air because they were too moist (they also scorched my mouth and throat due to hot steam).
In the two cases mentioned, no. Both experiences, the old and the new, were "pop the lid and try it" experiences. So, a fine point.
>>Secondly, maybe you can try a different full-flavored Latakia blend. If Nightcap is too strong, try Ashton Artisan's or GL Pease's Quiet Nights.

jimaustin

Lurker
Jun 30, 2017
Jim, I can relate. When I first started smoking (having previously smoked cigars off and on), I also got mostly hot, ashy flavors. I truly couldn't tell the difference between Early Morning Pipe and any other English blend - they all tasted like hot air. The key, as many here will tell you, is careful packing -- not too tight, not too loose, and slow, careful smoking. Ideally, you should be able to just keep the tobacco lit, allowing it to smolder. It takes a little practice, and your palate will become more sensitive over time as well.
I've been saying I'm not exactly a noob--but in a way I am. Every time I start over, I forget a lot of what I'd learned. I'll focus a bit more on technique. Thanks.

May 4, 2015
My interest in basically everything ebbs and flows. Staying active here and finding other people to smoke with at the B&M is what keeps my pipe smoking fresh for me. Developing your palette will accompany consistent practice and that. It'll come. Maintain your interest in it, you'll do it more, and you'll find the way to enjoy it on your own terms.

May 4, 2015
In addition, I like to smoke along with YouTube reviews sometimes. It seems a bit hokey and "new school" but I think it's fun to smoke along with someone talking about a tobacco and see if I can pick up what they're picking up and if I agree/disagree with their assessment. That might help you?
I also read tobaccoreviews.com while I'm smoking, especially a new blend.

jimaustin

Lurker
Jun 30, 2017
My interest in basically everything ebbs and flows. Staying active here and finding other people to smoke with at the B&M is what keeps my pipe smoking fresh for me. Developing your palette will accompany consistent practice and that. It'll come. Maintain your interest in it, you'll do it more, and you'll find the way to enjoy it on your own terms.
I've got no response to this, except to say "thanks." Makes sense.

jimaustin

Lurker
Jun 30, 2017
I also read tobaccoreviews.com while I'm smoking, especially a new blend.
Interesting you should mention that. I had just been reading reviews there of Haddo's when I tried it. Shook my head, confused, because I tasted nothing but ash.
Thanks.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Welcome aboard, Jim!
You are not the first to say "tastes like ash". My advice would be to make sure that your tobacco is dry enough. It should feel dry to the touch, but still be somewhat pliable. I've found that 65%RH is just about the right spot for Virginia's, VaPers and English/Balkens. We had a week here of 65% weather and I left a few small piles of overly moist tobacco spread out on my desk. In a week's time, they were at the perfect moisture level.
Other advice would be to keep your pipes clean, and as mso said, watch your packing and draw. Sip, don't slurp.
Please report back if any of this helps!

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
You might want to try Cornell & Diehl's Grey Ghost blend. It is not given great reviews but it is a good blend if you are a former cigar smoker. I switched to pipes from cigars a couple of years ago and find Grey Ghost very enjoyable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are continuing with the pipe, I'd suggest trying some of the Cornell & Diehl bulk blends that include burley, for a different flavor profile. Buy one or two ounces of each, just to try them. I like Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz. Burley works a little differently, and it could be your "thing." Billy Budd has some cigar leaf, but don't expect a cigar experience, but you might like that little twang in the mix. Be sure to let Forums know if you get to enjoy your pipes more, and what blends do it.

jimaustin

Lurker
Jun 30, 2017
Wow--lots of great advice, much appreciated. I won't clog things up by thanking everyone individually. Thanks to everyone.
Jim

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Jim,
The ashy taste problem you are experiencing might not be the tobaccos you are smoking, but rather the pipes you are smoking them in. Are you smoking straight pipes (billiards)? If so, you might try smoking an unfiltered bent pipe with a slightly longer stem. Unless the billiard stem is quite long, I find the 'ashy' taste overpowers the tobacco flavors when smoking most straight pipes. I'm not sure why, but for me I can avoid the ash taste and enjoy the more subtle tobacco flavors in a slightly longer unfiltered bent pipe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.