PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
There is a Becker sandblasted Rhodisian on SPC that keeps drawing my eye. The problem is the uneven rim. Am I too picky? I would appreciate the thoughts of others here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Asymmetry and unevenness mean different things to different people in different cultures. I'm no student of Japan, but I think in Japanese culture, evenness and uniformity in tableware, for example, denotes factory made cheapness, whereas in well-made pottery, the variations denote the discipline and artistry. That may be what's going on here, although in a different cultural context. But if you find it disquieting, I'd leave it alone, especially at that price level. Let it speak to someone who responds to that approach.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I believe that Becker is known for a certain amount of asymmetry. It is, in part, what draws me to his work.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. In an otherwise lovely pipe, it would bother me every time I smoked it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Guys:
I love that funky indentation on the right top side of the bowl. That stated, Jeff, if it would bother you then walk on by.
I'm pretty button downed, straight laced and by the book. But, I'm certainly not blind to the attractiveness of something out of kilter. And Lord knows the top of that Rhodesian certainly qualifies, and I certainly like it.
Fnord

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have 3 Maya desnuda Becker pipes, a perfect one in Morta by Paulo, a magnificent one in Olive Wood by Federico and one in Strawberrywood by Paulo with a deeper deviation than the Rhodesian on SPC. Paulo allows the flow of the wood in the stummel to dictate the shape with any deviation worked into the flow, I think he did an outstanding job on the Strawberrywood one I have, a trio to be proud off. The only thing that would make it complete were if I had one in briar. Cheers.

banjo
fab1574055e92ed77c3c17ed04877ea6eee819c.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.