PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
This how a tin of Capstan looked while drying on my desk (after getting the food processor treatment). Isn't it gorgeous?
IMG_0562%201_zpstmj6jusb.jpg

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
@alexnorth. I put most of my blends into the food processor to break them up. I read about this somewhere by pipestud (member here and a reviewer on TobaccoReviews.com). I have found that its the best way to get my tobaccos to taste the best, burn well, and dry well. If you'd like to try it, try first with a flake tobacco that you would anyway rub. Don't use a blender... A one speed food processor.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
atskywalker, the reason flake tobacco is prodcued like it is is because when folded and stuffed, or cubed into large cubes, the tobaccco will burn slower and cooler and produce more flavor. You should try cubing it and also do a fold and stuff and see if you get a better smoking experience. I have rubbed out flakes in my early years but soon learned that I got a better smoke using the fold and stuff for many years. In 2012 a guy here( Bent Mike) on this site told of the cube cut method and after trying it, I really liked it. I get a more consistent burn than a fold and stuff with no loss of flavor and no loss of a cool smoke.
I used to get a much hotter smoke and a loss of flavor rubbing it out. Don't always listen to other people, try different things for yourself and you may find a better way of doing things.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Thanks Harris. I've folded and stuffed for a while and I do agree that its more flavour that way. I think the loss of flavour (for me) is minimal compared to the inconsistency of the burn which usually ends with tongue bite for me. I haven't tried cubing yet but after readying this I will :-D.

I've got a friend who puts all of his flakes in a grinder. I think the idea is that flake pressing adds taste to the tobacco, an extra process in the cure, so grinding it just makes it fit his smoking preferences. I tried it, and it was great, and for a slow smoking style you still get great flavors. But, for me, I'm usually on the go when smoking, so it really isn't convenient for every smoke. But, when I get bored, I'm not against breaking out the old coffee grinder, but usually I just nuke the flake in the microwave for 8 or so seconds before packing. That would be my bored flavor smoking enhancement.

Nice post, and that picture is gorgeous. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.