PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Inspired by the idea of Monstermash in This Thread, i went to look for it and I found it!!
The BBC dramatization of The Hobbit. This is very meaningful to me. I learnt English listening to these tapes. I was 14 and in UK for the first time, in Cornwall. I had only 100 pounds for the month, and nonetheless, I spent almost 20 pounds into the 6 tapes deck.

I spent most of my free daytime laying in the grass, the tapes in the walkman, smoking my pipe (I had started some months earlier...). This is among my most precious memories.

I plan to listen to it all again now with a pipe. 25 years have past, but just from the first minute of it, it has taken me back to exactly the same spot and feeling that the first time I listened to those words...
First part (of many):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbVPmVl57y0

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Nice...thanks for sharing this. I am also a long time fan of J.R.R. Tolkien

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I am also a huge fan of The Hobbit. The other books are good but The Hobbit shines for me. It always reminds me no matter how bad things get... at least I still have my pipe and some longbottom leaf!

psquared

Lurker
Feb 16, 2012
I usually read the entire series once a year, since I first read it back in the early '70s. Have it all loaded on the Kindle now, great for reading, not so great for looking at the maps :(

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I remember when I read the Hobbit! Twas long ago...Or so it seems haha

Was a good book yet I don't quite think it tops the trilogy. Just saying because I know others who have disagreed with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.