PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'd appreciate anyone's help on this, particularly those familiar with older gourd calabash pipes. I picked up this 1906-07 BBB calabash (sans stem) recently and I'm pretty sure the bowl isn't meerschaum. I'm guessing it's either plaster or asbestos, both of which were used back then, but I'm just not sure.
calab4-600x400.jpg

calab2-600x400.jpg

calab3-600x400.jpg

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
well if you are worried its asbestos there are kits to test it and only a small amount is needed to get a near 100% result to tell you if there is even a trace. I used to work at homedepot and lowes and both store had kits one was so sensitive it was explained to me by the rep that it could tell if the room it was stored in had asbestos. example being if you had this kit and tested the pipe and just put the pipe near the testing strip that if you came back the next morning the strip would change color to tell you if there was even 0.0001% asbestos in or around the testing strip.
but ideally youd just follow the directions and rub the strip on the area and then seal it in the jar it comes with and send it out to get the full story but that cost extra. Thats a nice looking pipe btw. :)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The easiest thing to do is remove the pins and take off the silver cap. Asbestos really became the wonder product in the 1920s but it certainly is not beyond the realm of probability. Novicemakers suggestion about buying an asbestos testing kit makes a lot of sense. After establishing what it is I would remove the pins and then take the block out of the fruit body and put it to one side. You can clean up the pipes inners and remove about 100 years of yuk from it. A quick online search will reveal the availability of calabash bowls in meerschaum which should result in you finding something that will fit your pipe even after a little sanding. You can then refit the silver rim and replace the original pins. I did one for a chum about ten years ago. In your case you might be better served to send it out to the pipe repairers as you will need a new stem as well. I seem to remember seeing this on Ebay a few weeks ago or am I dreaming? Anyway good luck with your project.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for the tip, novicemaker.
condorlover, I was hoping you'd chime in. How difficult is it to remove/replace the pins? And any suggestions for doing so.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am just off to the pub but when I get back I will either post or if you wish PM you a very long and boring thing about removing the pins. Quick question give me a close up of the pins as I want to make sure they are not silver and are +1 over sized to the fruit body. As an after thought I don't chime in you cheeky beggar! :nana:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, condorlover. Here's a closeup of the pins. I'm not sure if they're silver -- they look more brassy than the silver cap.
pins-closeup-600x399.png

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Hell those are silvered panel pins in copper. Do you have one of those long nail clippers of the type used in the asian manicure places when you get a pedicure? Use that to gently remove the pins. Start at opposite ends thus removing the pins at 12'oclock and 6'oclock and continue until you have removed all the pins. Remember this stuff was probably cemented together so proceed with extreme caution as it is likely the bowl will be cemented to the silver bezel and will come out in one piece. Under the bowl assembly you will probably find three wood wedges either glued or pinned to the fruit body that act as a seat for the bowl. Whatever you do don't mess with them. Clean the fruit body out thoroughly and sanitize as you would any other pipe. Take the bowl assembly with silver rim and very gently put a long dental probe under the silver flange and move slowly around. This should dislodge the cement if any exists. Detach the bowl and select a new one, remember to measure the depth of the bowl and order from a reputable Turkish supplier or send the old one to him as a patten. Reassemble and select the stem of your choice. Anything else feel free to PM me.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Many thanks indeed, Simon. I think I can handle this much, but I may try to find out if it's asbestos, first. 8O

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't think so. It looks like that clay stuff they used to make the mantles for gas holders but just get a mask from B&Q or Home Depot to be on the safe side and dismantle it. :wink:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
This could be a standard calabash from that era, gourd body holding a meerschaum bowl under the silver cap... Ream the inside of the bowl some and see if it isn't just meerschaum. Let us know....

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, I got the silver cap off, but then I found this:
dsc_03651-600x400.jpg

dsc_03661-600x400.jpg

How should I proceed in geting the cup out of the cement/plaster?

Reactions: Rocky72

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, having scraped away some of the plaster, I'm fairly convinced this is a meerschaum cup after all, not asbestos or plaster of Paris. The grey crusty stuff inside was probably just mineral secretions that built up into a crust. They scraped away and left behind a smoother meer-like surface. What do you guys think? And how the heck do I get the cup out of there so I can clean out the gourd/fruit?
calacup3-600x400.jpg

calacup1-600x400.jpg

calacup2-600x400.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Damn. A smaller cup sitting on wood seating with a cement grout. Gently using a Stanley knife see if you can loosen the cement from the wall of the fruit. You might want to put an 'L' shaped bit of wire through the cups draw hole to use to gently pull the cup up from its seating. Thats very unusual as they usually have ring under the silver cap and sometimes even paper paste and plaster. Try that and see how you get on and don't forget to have an empty tin for all the pins that you have removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.