PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just saw this blog article and thought some of you folks would like to see it.
http://www.neatpipes.com/blog/the-pipes-of-basil-rathbones-sherlock-holmes-a-visual-essay/&id=70

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just got the link to the entire series of essays regarding this subject: http://www.neatpipes.com/blog/list/diary-of-a-mad-padster/&id=1

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for the link Jim. I love the old Sherlock movies with Basil Rathbone, and have watched them ever since I was a kid. I didn't realize that the pipes Basil was smoking were Petersons, or that you could modify a Peterson Standard 309 to create a reasonable facsimile. Thanks again.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Conlejm: You are most welcome. You may find this well worth your time, too. You can find many Sherlock Holmes radio shows at this site. You have to join the group, but they don't charge any money for joining or downloading. You just have to limit what you download each month. You can also listen to them for free. There's a great many Rathbone-Bruce shows here, plus many others in various Sherlock Holmes series in the US. and England. Sound quality varies. http://otrrlibrary.org/s.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Has anyone read the original Sherlock Holmes stories recently enough to know about the pipe scenes?

Somewhere I thought I read that the big bent pipe smoked by Rathbone in the movies was invented for

those productions, and that the pipe in the book is a simpler one. I mean, the big bent pipes were already

around, but they were adopted for the Sherlock Holmes character for the Rathbone portrayal.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Actor William Gillette was the first to portray Holmes with a bent pipe. It was easier to speak his lines on stage with a bent pipe than a straight one. That changed the perception of the pipes Holmes smoked.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
In the original 1890's Conan Doyle books, Holmes mostly smoked, as Watson described: "a greasy old clay pipe".
In one of the books Holmes makes light of a person who owns an "expensive brier pipe".
Holmes always kept his dark shag pipe tobacco "rolled up in the toe of an old Persian slipper".

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
thanks, as well, for the link.
films like these are one reason a good bent mount is my favorite shape.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That reminds me of the old Sherlock Holmes joke that goes along these lines……..
Watson is away shooting so Holmes goes cruising around Shepherds Market for some rough trade. After about an hour he picks up this early thirties blond body builder and takes him back to 221 B Baker Street. He is about to have his way with said blond body builder as he bends him over the dinning room table when the fellow says he is a little dry and did Holmes have any lubricant. Holmes rushes around the apartment looking for lubricant and then realized that Watson had taken it with him so he could have his way with Mrs. Hudson. Holmes then sees a jar of Lemon Curd which deduces will make an excellent substitute so he races back and drops his trousers whilst unscrewing the jar of Lemon Curd and shoving his man hood into the jar. He is just about to mount the fellow when Watson walks in and says 'Holmes! What in gods name are you doing?'. Holmes turns around and smiles at Watson and says "Lemon entry my dear Watson!". :rofl:

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I like the point he made about tobacco jars. Nobody makes cool tobacco jars anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.