PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marblefaun

Lurker
Jul 6, 2018
I'm trying to be sensible about pipe dedication—originally, I wasn't planning to dedicate anything, but I realized that's probably not entirely wise (given that I do like some aromatics). However, I still want to keep things very simple—I want to care for and enjoy the pipes maximally, while still being easy going (just letting my desires dictate my pipes/smoking). So, I currently have three pipes, will probably get one more. Would this be a fine, though not super discriminatory, way to dedicate them?
Savinelli Roma 673 KS - English/Oriental blends

Savinelli Primo Fumo - Knockaround pipe that I can smoke anything out of, but mainly VA/VaPers

MM Legend - Aromatics
If I get one more, perhaps that will become my dedicated VA pipe, or dedicated only to English Lat blends. Thanks!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I dedicate my pipes into the following categories.

Virginia

Virginia/Perique

Virginia/Burley/Kentucky

Aromatic
I don't smoke any English blends anymore but if I did I would dedicate pipes to them. I also dedicate certain pipes to certain blends. If you get more pipes you can also play around with more categories. I would definitely keep a pipe dedicated to Virginia's as they deserve their own pipe because of their subtle flavors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like a reasonable approach. Some Forums members are designation devotees despite having many pipes. I don't smoke any particularly ghosty blends (to my tastes anyway) and I have quite a few pipes (scores) so I don't designate. But if you have sensitive taste buds and enjoy the purist approach, it sounds like you've made good choices. By the way, I have a 673KS, Opera series, and feel it is one of my best, substantial, excellent open draw, balanced and handsome in design and finish, a gift from my wife.

marblefaun

Lurker
Jul 6, 2018
Sounds like a reasonable approach. Some Forums members are designation devotees despite having many pipes. I don't smoke any particularly ghosty blends (to my tastes anyway) and I have quite a few pipes (scores) so I don't designate. But if you have sensitive taste buds and enjoy the purist approach, it sounds like you've made good choices. By the way, I have a 673KS, Opera series, and feel it is one of my best, substantial, excellent open draw, balanced and handsome in design and finish, a gift from my wife.
Ha, that's the thing! I don't particularly have sensitive tastebuds, nor am I quite a purist. I was just thinking that maybe non-dedication would have adverse effects that I'm not aware of yet (obviously, I know of ghosting, but I only have one blend that I think would really ghost a pipe right now). i.e. perhaps my tastebuds would become more discerning, and I'd regret it later. So perhaps I'm overthinking it—maybe I'll just leave the aromatics to the MM Legend, and won't dedicate my other two, for now.
Re: the 673 KS—lovely! I'm glad to hear it! I have yet to try mine yet. Planning to "graduate" to it, soon, once I get my technique in its best shape on the other two (been at this for about a month now).

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm a new smoker and I don't have any dedicated pipes. I have seven pipes and lean towards aromatics even though I do smoke some non-aromatics occasionally. I'm still trying to perfect the drying, packing, sipping and not puffing so I can taste the flavors. I'm starting to pick up some flavors...mainly vanilla. When I have more experience and purchase more pipes I'm sure I'll start dedicating pipes.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I dedicates pipes to genre, so Va or English blends etc. A pipe isn't chosen arbitrarily but by what type of blend the pipe seems to smoke best.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I smoke Burleys, VAs, VA-Per and VA-Bur tobacco formulations. Given my taste buds I have no need to worry about dedicating pipes as I find VAs and Burleys are OK together. But when or if I get a desire to smoke an aromatic or latakia blend, I'd use a specific pipe for either type. If you ever get a desire to try a sub-genre of aromatics called lakelands, I recommend dedicating a pipe just for those as they will haunt a pipe in a thorough going manner. So dedicating pipes depends on what you smoke and the degree of sensitivity of your palate.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I don’t smoke aromatics but I would have 2 or 3 cobs for them until you narrow down which are your favourites.

I have pipes for English and Virginia blends that are designated. I will smoke vapers in my Virginia pipes. I guess I’m an animal. I also have one Lakeland pipe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My set up is similar to yours and thomasw, although I have also set aside a burley dominant pipe. Not so much into the aros, but have a few cobs set aside should that change.
Welcome to the forum!

jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipes that I don't have dedicated to a single blend are divided like this.
Burley

Virginia

Virginia/Burley

Virginia/Perique

Virginia/Oriental

English (rarely)

Vanilla Aromatic

Chocolate/Caramel Aromatic

Berry Aromatic
Lakelands are blend specific as well as Exotic Orange.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Totally up front, I'm a bit of an oddball, in particular re some of the current conventional wisdom as regards methods, so don't necessarily take my counsel as gospel. :) That said,
I used to dedicate pipes to specific blends, but ultimately just sort of fell out of the habit. Possibly I'm no longer experiencing the deepest sub-tuhl-ties & teeny-tiny nuances of the leaf. However I find myself quite happy with almost every bowl, & I don't have to make two sets of arrangements every time I choose to light up. I grab whatever pipe I feel like from the racks, whichever of my tins/pouches appeals at the moment, & enjoy myself, emphasis on the "enjoy."
It works for me, & like so much about the hobby, it's all personal preference. Take it for whatever it may/may not be worth for *you*. :)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Possibly I'm no longer experiencing the deepest sub-tuhl-ties & teeny-tiny nuances of the leaf.
I really don't either, rather I appreciate the overall composition. My blend specific pipes have absorbed the totality of the blends smoked in them and amplify the flavor when smoked.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Good way of putting it. I get a good consistent smoke, with each bowl giving me primarily the flavor of the leaf being smoked at the time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am not currently dedicating pipes to any blend. When I try a new tobacco, I may choose a particularly clean pipe, and smoke that one blend in it for a while. But I don't do aromatics or Lakelands. (so far)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think I've got a tin of Bob's Chocolate, and I did have a tin of another chocolate blend, but was unaware of The Two Friends. Will keep in mind, and thanks.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome. The chocolate is really just enough there to notice it, but doesn't overpower the blend.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I just did the math and conclude that I have 6 pipes that are dedicated to a specific blend (read: one tobacco only). The more pipes you accumulate in your collection, the easier it is to dedicate. That said, most of my pipes are general “class” pipes, like Virginia or Latakia etc.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Here’s an example. This massive Castello 55 is dedicated only for G.L. Pease Key Largo. I am like Pavlov’s dog when I see it on the shelf. I salivate and think only if smoking Key Largo.

uxk48R4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.