Based on what I like so far, any recommendations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

marblefaun

Lurker
Jul 6, 2018
Hi all! New member and new pipe smoker here. After buying a Savinelli Primo Fumo on a recent trip to Italy, I've already rapidly started accumulating tobaccos and pipes. I'm hoping for some advice on which tobaccos to try next—I suppose, which direction should I head, given what I've enjoyed so far. So far I've tried 5 different blends, and if I were to rank them in order of which I liked best it would be:
1. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

2. Lane Limited 1-Q

3. Mac Baren HH Vintage Latakia

4. C&D Stovepipe

5. C&D Yorktown
The Vintage Latakia was the first tobacco I bought, and I'm sure due to my very poor technique, I didn't like it very much initially. I haven't returned to it since trying the other 4, but after getting my technique in better shape, I think I'll like it more—my memory of the flavor is better now than my experience of it, if that makes sense.
Thanks!

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
If EMP is a favorite, I would suggest:
GL Pease Chelsea Morning + Westminster

Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme

McClelland Balkan Blue (out of production)

Kramer Father Dempsey
These are a few blends that I discovered after falling in love with the EMP tins. Get em while you can!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Recommendations are good, and I have taken them and found good blends. But it is even more important for you to look carefully at the blends you are enjoying and review their specs online, and then study up on other comparable blends, and also look outside these genres to see what you are missing. I'd buy samples in small quantities, bulk and pouch or single tins, for example. Save in sealed jars what you don't like, to see if your taste evolves or if the blend improves with age. Your own research is going to give you a better idea of where you are and where you're going. A few popular blends are Orlik Golden Sliced, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, and C&D Billy Budd (rather strong). I hope you'll locate many blends you like, but despite that, don't load up too much on any one thing, and keep looking.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
For straight VAs try Samuel Gawith FVF, or C&D Opening Night since you’re exploring C&D blends.
Aromatics, I suggest C&D Autumn Evening to your list, and which you seem to enjoy.
I suggest Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader for exposure to english blends (and give you milder exposure to latakia). You kind of went balls deep re: trying the Lat leaf (though is this an old Syrian leaf blend?)

marblefaun

Lurker
Jul 6, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've definitely only been buying blends in 2oz tins--and I smoke infrequently enough that even these will last me a while.
I suggest Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader for exposure to english blends (and give you milder exposure to latakia). You kind of went balls deep re: trying the Lat leaf (though is this an old Syrian leaf blend?)
Yeah, I was wondering if this was way too heavy to start with re: Latakia. It's not the old Syrian blend, but their new replacement blend using Cyprian latakia.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Welcome to the forum Marblefaun, I’d second the suggestion for Squadron Leader if you liked EMP as I find both quite similar. Also since you like 1-Q as well I’d suggest Samuel Gawith’s Perfection, as it has both a slight vanilla topping and a light touch of Latakia.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Bald Headed Teacher from 4noggins

MacB Old Dark Fired

GLP Gas Light, Quiet Nights, and Westminster

Status
Not open for further replies.