PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Hi friends,
I have this tiny Barling's Make marked F.E. BOWDEN EXETER on one side and AW22 under the Barling's Make on the other. I have not been able to find out much about it and was wondering if anyone out there might be able to shed some light on this little fella. Thanks!
pipe1_zps470b4575.jpg.html

pipe2_zps9a6b831a.jpg.html

pipe3_zps8a37030b.jpg.html

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Dixie,
F. E. Bowden Exeter would be the name of the dealer who originally sold the pipe. Barling often made pipes to order for their dealers and stamped the dealers' names into the pipes. AW22 isn't a familiar stamp to me, but placed under the Barling's Make logo, it's probably a model number. Also, some of the dealers added their own stock numbers to the shanks.

Can you provide a couple of pictures? I might be better able to help. Also, are there any stampings on the stem, either top or bottom? Any other stamps in the vicinity of the dealer's stamp?

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Sorry...rookie mistake:) no other visible stampings on the stem or shank.
pipe2_zps9a6b831a.jpg

pipe1_zps470b4575.jpg

pipe3_zps8a37030b.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, you have something quite rare there. I've only ever seen one other one. AW = all wood. Can you tell me if the smoke hole is round or shaped like a round edged rectangle?
There's no way of giving you an absolute dating, somewhere between 1940 and 1962. The size looks similar to a "ss" which was their smallest size.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks for the info Sablebrush! The bowl is round. I am happy to hear it was a rare find!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Dixie, sable means is the hole at the smoking end of the mouthpiece completely round? This is helpful in dating Barlings. I know a bit (pun!) about them, but sable is 'The Man'. If you can tell him this, he might be able to pin down a tighter range of dates for you. Regardless, that is a little beauty I wouldn't mind having in my own collection - that is, if I hadn't just purchased my final pipe!! LOL

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Sorry, I misunderstood. Here is a picture of the smoke hole. Thank you again!

pipe4_zps3f353cb4.jpg

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
That looks just like the bit / smoke hole in my oldest Barlings. I'm sure it will enable sable to help you further.

mikeklumpp

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2013
hong kong
cool pipe - i cannot offer anything other than the round smoke hole speaks to it's age and the all wood design - here's a link
http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Barling

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
That is a real beauty, and I would think very collectable. There is something very special about briar mouthpieces. This is something Chris Askwith has been working on.
With the orifice opening at the end of the stem, I would think this dates back to the 1920's or earlier.
A special find.

bvbriar

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
That is fantastic and appears to be in remarkable condition. Is this a recent find?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Dixie,
Thanks for the additional view. With an orific bit, the possibility opens up that the pipe is earlier than my first guess. It's also possible that the carver felt that the extra width of wood around the opening would make the bit stronger and stuck with an older design. The other one that I saw also had an orific bit.
What you definitely have is a first class treasure. Barling pipes were amongst the finest ever turned out by the British factory makers.
Barling was an inventive company, despite their often stodgy design sense, and they pioneered such now common ideas as mortise and tenon joinery between the stem and shank, and the wide flat bit, one of the most comfortable bits ever made.
They also made some very interesting speciality pipes, like yours. I have a pipe with a TP stamped under the logo. That TP stands for Travel Pipe. The pipe is tiny, like yours. What makes it unique is that it breaks down into 3 pieces, bowl, shank, and stem. The shank screws onto the bowl. It takes up no carrying space at all.
Great find!

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Not sure about usability but it is a stunning and unique piece. I'd be tempted more to frame it than smoke it.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Thank's everyone! About 6 months ago I bought 2 small pipe racks with pipes from a woman who was the great granddaughter and granddaughter of the 11th and 12th English Baronet's of the Dixie family (no relation to me). I was able to confirm who she was but can only trust that the pipes and the racks came from her family. Given the timeframe Sable and others have given it seem very possible. The other pipes were also very small, 12 in all, including 4 old L&Co and some others with the marks rubbed off...but they are just beautiful. I love the history behind the pipes I have collected and am excited to share! I will post a pic of the lot I am referring to a bit later this evening. Thank you again all!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dixie, that is a very unique looking pipe and a great find. If you want I will take it off your hands for 25 bucks, I know, I know, that is a lot of money, no need to thank me. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.