Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Just received this pipe from Smoking Pipes.com:

BarlingSmoothBentDublin6969TVFEarlyTransition_zps33961542.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Barling Bent Dublin transition 6969, great feel in the mouth and nice weight.
Smokes pretty good with the first bowl of Bald Headed Teacher, although a bit moist. Possibly because of the bend.
As I understand Barling, they manufactured very few bents until the company was taken over the in 1960's. The briar, however, is most likely from the original stack of ancient Algerian

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I just cannot believe how many times I've tried to post this picture.
I give up.
Here is the website: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=153420

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great looking pipe! As others have said, and I have found to be true, Barling still made some very good pipes in the "post family" era. EXEXEL in size, and 39.6p grams, what's not to like? The Barling pipes from the 1960's are very good, and dare I say it...relatively undervalued in the estate market. Smoking one right now, 4585 Ye Olde Wood!
Dave

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Barling pipes from the 1960's are very good, and dare I say it...relatively undervalued in the estate market.
Shhhhh!! Dave, if people find out that they can buy pipes that smoke as well as anything on which they're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars for far less than a hundred bucks the prices will rise and we'll be screwed. As long as collectors believe the myth that Barlng pipes went down the drain after the sale of the company we're good.
Allen, that is a beautiful pipe! Congratulations!
As for the Smoking Pipes description, it's completely off. The terms, "transition" and "post-transition" as identifiers are pretty meaningless, which is why I no longer use them.
But let's say, for the moment, that the term "Transition" or "Early Transition" is useful. The Barling family sold the business in October of 1960 to Finlay. Finlay kept the Barling family on to run the busniess. "Early Transition" pipes can't actually be distinguished from "Pre_Transition" pipe because the nomenclature is exactly the same. The nomenclature didn't change for 20 months, until mid 1962, when the new numbering system was introduced. The "Barling's Make" logo was retained. So by the time any identifiers are changed, we're well into the so called "Transition" era.
In mid 1962 we see "Barling's Make" pipes with the new four digit numbering system. Also in mid 1962 the Barling family steps down from running the business for Finlay. Basically they were sacked.
In November of 1962, Barling publishes a second catalog for that year, but in this one they announce their new revamped line up of pipes and their new script "Barling" logo. That's the logo that is on the pipe that you bought.
So this pipe is no earlier than the end of 1962, and it is probably later since this shape doesn't appear in the 1962 catalog. So, Early Transiton, no. And, "Early Transition" is a meaningless term since there is no way to distinguish these pipes from pre-sale "Pre-Transition" pipes.
Your pipe is a "post-transition" pipe, because Imperial absorbed Finlay and took direct control of Barling in February of 1963. Imperial had owned 40% of Finlay for years before Finlay bought Barling. So, to the extent that a so called "Transition" designation can be applied to a specific pipe, it's late in the game. The so called "Transition" era ended in 1963, not 1968. All of this is a matter of public record.
It's much more accurate to use family era and either post-family, or corporate, era for Barling.
The briar is still excellent, though not the old Algerian briar. Barling lost their harvesting operations in 1954 when the Algerian War for Independence broke out. This is not a secret. Barling made a public announcement in the trades in 1954 that they were changing their sourcing.
The bottom line is that you bought a pipe that was made by many of the same skilled craftsmen that had turned out glorious pipes for decades. The wood from which it was made was sourced while the family still ran the business, though it's not Algerian. But that doesn't really matter as they knew briar and bought the very finest available from a wide variety of sources. The only metric the Barling family had was quality, not geography. And, it's a handmade pipe. Barling did not turn to machine work for their pipes.
Did the quality decline after Imperial took over in 1963? Yes. But it was a gradual decline, not a precipitous one. 1968 marks the year that the London factories were closed and operations were moved to Liverpool. After that, a number of English makers contracted to turn out Barling pipes, including Charatan and Ogden. Later, Nording took over the manufacture of Barling pipes for Imperial.
If your pipe is anything close to the quality of my "Post_Family" pipes, you're in for a very pleasurable experience.
And so it goes.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Sable
Thank you for the comprehensive explanation of the Barling history regarding my pipe.
So if I read you correctly, my pipe is 'post family' era, around or most likely before 1968 or so, and non-Algerian briar.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Allan,
Correct on all counts. My introduction to Barling pipes came from pipes made in this period, and once I tried out a few of them, I was hooked. It wasn't until years later that I started buying the Family Era pipes, and from my experience they're all great smokers. BTW, I don't experience any difference between my Algerian briar Barlings and the later product. The family knew briar and bought the best stock from wherever they found it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
More likely, it would arguably make more sense to suppose they resurrected the antique "Barling's Make" in small letters to mark the sale of the company in the later part of 1960. Not the takeover by the new management team, which prompted the switchover to the script name in late 1962.
Or not ?
This would bring the numbers into sync. with the timeline.
And you would be wrong. There are examples of hallmarked Barlings from 1960 and 61, before the new numbering systems was adopted, and the logos are not the 1930's logo, but the standard more arched logo of the period from the mid '50's through 1962.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Would the seeming oversupply of such pipes with markings such as the one I linked to be an illusion then?
Define oversupply. Given that Diversity Machine Works, in their September 1962 letter to Barling's US dealers, stated that they had over 300 dozen pipes in stock for distribution to their network, would that qualify as oversupply? How much more did Barling have on hand for their European market, and other markets?
Cool. Assuming everything in the plant was out the door the same week it was made, and that hallmarked bands from previous years weren't lurking in the bottoms of workstation drawers to be applied years later...
That would work for the proposition, not against it. A older band bearing a 1961 hallmark might mean that a 1962 Barling with the older logo was used, not the other way around.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
That is funny about Peterson. I know someone who is doing some research and visited the factory. They still have the old "pre-republic" stamps on hand. I had a Pete come through my hands with the circular "Made in Ireland " stamp with a Peterson hallmarked band dated 1973.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Barling stampings do overlap, but not wildly.
For a fascinating read on the transition from family enterprise to corporate division, check out Jon Guss' superb article in the Vintages section of the "A Passion For Pipes" site. The level of detail and documentation is nothing short of astonishing. Jon is, in my humble opinion, one of, if not THE, foremost scholars on pipes and tobbaciana contributing today.

Status
Not open for further replies.