PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestrelle

Lurker
Jul 18, 2016
Barling EB WB

Hi I am very happy to have found this web site..it's fantastic. I have just come back to pipe smoking after a 30 gap! I had a look for some Estate pipes to try my hand at resurrecting and found a Barling rusticated Meerschaum with a ?silver ? Gold plated band with BARLING on top And EB and WB stamped underneath...Stem does not look original ... yellow acrylic maybe, does go with the pipe though.. but I am interested in trying to date it and in fact see if it is genuine. Not sure how to upload images yet...Any help appreciated. Cheers!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, pipe star!
Yes, photos would be good!
This is one way to add photos to your post:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; photo bucket, etc.), select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste the URL into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show.
If you want to use the site's album (images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size)

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK.

pipestrelle

Lurker
Jul 18, 2016
Thanks jpmcwjr....here is an image ..I think..... Using photo bucket
ED4927F7-65B1-4ADA-8F8C-A66B5CE265B5_zpsu1btq6tg.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Not sure if this is correct but I'll figure it out if not...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's what I can tell you about this pipe. It dates to 1980 or later, after Imperial sold its interest in Barling to an investor group headed by Ron Harden, who had been the General Manager under Imperial. Harden enlisted the aid of Bucktrout & Co to keep the Barling brand alive after Imperial decided to close it. Operations were set up on the Isle of Man. The goal was to restore the brand to its former glory.

These African meerschaum bowls were made for Barling by Laxey Pipe, Ltd. Production continued for some time so the pipe could have been made as recently as 2001.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Somehow, "> was added to the end of the URL(both of them) ; otherwise it works just fine as you pasted it in the IMG tag box. As in.....
1402BD29-EA6C-4603-959D-396C914FDFD6_zpshawrz9f3.jpg

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Is that pipe and example of how much a meerschaum will color with years of smoking? I might just have to go purchase a new one to enjoy that coloring process.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jndyer, as I understand things pipes made from African (Amboseli Basin, Tanzania) meerschaum do not colour in the same way as those made with Turkish meerschaum so are artificially coloured at the factory prior to dispatch.
Regards,
Jay.

pipestrelle

Lurker
Jul 18, 2016
Thanks Sablebrush52 and jpmcwjr for the help and info...very interesting! Just starting out so still a lot to learn but what a fascinating pursuit and with some lovely smokes along the way as well.! Cheers everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.