PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have wanted to try a Pot type pipe and was interested in the Barling pipes. A post transition Pot/Prince came up last week on Fleabay. It was surprising how easily it cleaned up. But, how can I make the “BARLING cross” white again? Help anyone!

oESrB8x.jpg

The stem cleaned up nicely using the Magic Eraser pads followed by some Obsidian oil.

VZc75GV.jpg

After reaming the bowl with three styles of reamer, the rim was cleaned using spit and an exacto knife on the thick parts. The bowl side of the rim in one spot was badly charred. Some wood was removed and the spot was smoothed using 1500 grit paper. The missing briar is not very noticeable. The job was completed with a retort.

spqEUkd.jpg

I am happy with the pipe although I may strip the stain and finish and redo. Can't wait to try this pipe after it dries out for a few days.

zV7UqxJ.jpg

X4DglWo.jpg

XC7ogsb.jpg

K

klause

Very nice pipe!
Once the stem is cleaned and polished I use Tipex, or other liquid paper, to carefully reinstate the logo. Once it's dry I very carefully sand off the excess that overflowed the recessed logo - wipe clean and then wax stem.
Good luck with it.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Klause and Hunter. Thanks for the suggestions. The liquid paper worked partially. It looks a lot better.
I forgot to say that the shank gunk was removed with a drill bit. And, the shank and stem were scrubbed with alcohol using shank brush and pipe cleaners. The pipe was well loved but the interior was keep clean. It did not require many cleaners.
:D

K

klause

Loneredtree, glad it worked (partially) ;-)
I've found it takes a bit of practice - it's the removal of the excess that can mess it up. But, when it works, it's a permanent fix. I think I may try Hunters suggestion next.
Been looking at your pics again - great job on the clean-up. That is a really gorgeous pipe - the more I look at it, the more I like it - it has a simple elegance that is very appealing to me.
Congratulations on a fine pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice work, preserving the Barlings' cross is pretty difficult and I suspect just as hard to fix (prehaps nearly impossible for a permanent fix)

Status
Not open for further replies.