Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
This Barling 1279 EXEL was sent to me to see what I could do with it. The owner mentioned that it would probably have to be restemmed and stained dark to hide the burn marks. When it arrived, I took a look at it and saw that the rim was also in rough shape. It was deeply scratched and there was some burn damage on the inner front.
Here are a few photos of the pipe on arrival:
a-%252520bmake127901.JPG

a-%252520bmake127902.JPG

a-%252520bmake127905.JPG

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I thought that I could probably repair the damage without making any major changes, which is what I prefer when I can. The lines of the stem presented some challenges since they changed from hard to soft and back again, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.
Here are some photos of the finished pipe:
z-%252520bmake127901.JPG

z-%252520bmake127902.JPG

z-%252520bmake127904.JPG

Another thing of note about this pipe is that it's stamped "1978" on the right-side shank along with the "EXEL" stamps. I'm far from a Barling expert, but it doesn't match any Barling stamping that I'm aware of and I have no idea what it signifies. I've asked around and I've heard some interesting theories, but nothing concrete. So, it remains a bit of a mystery. If anyone has a clue, please feel free to chime in.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You really brought that stem back from the dead. It's a fine rendition of the pot shape, big old bowl and a handsome finish.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
pffyr, nice job you brought it back to life! There is one Barling expert I know of in the forum hopefully he will see this thread and provide the answer you seek.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nice job on that stem! The slot looks correct, which is really nice to see as the majority of replacements that I've seen are pretty terrible in this regard.

The pipe is a Post Transition piece, which should be obvious from the stem shape. The story that I've heard about the "1978" pipes, one that I haven't been able to verify as yet, is that they were made from family era stummels that were discovered in 1978, so the bowls are Family Era and finished and fitted with stems much later. These always have Barling's Make in block letters, but unlike the Family Era pieces, the logo is all on one line rather than the old logo which had "Barling's" arched over "Make" in block letters. Since these show up in a variety of shapes, all with 1978 stamped on them, it's clear that this isn't a shape or model stamp and probably refers to the year that the stummels were found.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Thanks, Jesse. That particular "1978" story fits the puzzle better than anything else that I've heard. I'm leaning that way until I hear otherwise.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great job!

If Brush gives it points it has passed a knowledgeable review. I liked the explanation also. Sounds logical.

kaan

Lurker
Nov 20, 2015
Congratulations for your new stem!! :) It seems that the lip has become a lady after being a witch for all those years. Great job!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
That's the original stem, sjpipesmoker. I didn't cut it. I just replaced the missing material.

Status
Not open for further replies.