PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Jesse, I don't know what you're thinking is. It only works out to, just over, $1700.00 per lb.
bbwaaahahahahahaha
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
What the hell???

Actually I do not blame sellers asking for ridiculous prices.

The schmucks buying these are driving this madness.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Yeaaah, right; Cost of thing is what one is ready to pay for it.

In that logic I guess Penzance does really costs close to 300 bucks per tin :)
How do you call capitalism when you got plenty of buyers with little to no brain and enough cash in their pockets.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I've figured every change in packaging is worth at least $50 bucks. This is way more than I could afford but compared to wine and whisky tobacco is a bargain because it has such a limited market on the top end. 8O

Wasn't it just a few years ago, someone sold their soul on ebay and someone paid thousands for it? I remember someone selling some used underwear for hundreds of dollars also. My wife used to scan ebay for ridiculous stuff like that. Now of course this post will become the, "it happens all the time" sort of story.
My dad used to tell me, when you see a man pissing in the road, the fools and idiots will all say that it is an indication that society is collapsing, and the wise men will all say that it is merely a man pissing in the road. A thing is what it is. :puffy:

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Why is the prevailing assumption that the buyers are stupid, and the sellers are greedy? In my opinion they both know exactly what they are doing with their own money.
I paid $100 each for an 8 oz bag of Penzance and Stonehaven, before prices have risen further more recently. I was grateful that a more enterprising person went and found "cheap" bags of each and was willing to resell them. I willingly paid for the service they provided, and received packages in a few days. I got to see what all the fuss was about in a few days. I could probably sell the remaining 7.5 ounces of penzance for what I paid, not that I am going to do that, so don't PM me.
Now I know that Penzance is not to my liking and I could care less what other people say about it. Self discovery is worth the cost to me. I liked Stonehaven, so I picked up a second bag when I found one for under $100.
I also bought a slug of Motzek Strang for what some consider a stupid price, but no one knows my finances or desire to formulate my own opinion. It was well worth the expenditure to me.
I talked to 2 different B&M's about this topic, the reality is that Chinese wholesalers are offering more $ to the producers, so future availability will be very limited. They only send a small amount to the U.S. relative to the rest of the world.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why is the prevailing assumption that the buyers are stupid, and the sellers are greedy? In my opinion they both know exactly what they are doing with their own money.
Why assume that both are not? Knowing what you are doing with your cash doesn't necessarily equate with intelligence. :)
Are the sellers greedy? Absolutely. But so what? Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head to pay these prices. If paying these prices is a financial wound to anyone, it's a self inflicted wound.
As for satisfying ones curiosity, I totally get that. I've spent plenty of money on vintage blends, though I've now stopped doing that as my curiosity is now satisfied. However, if an opportunity comes up to purchase a favored vintage blend at a reasonable price I'll loosen the purse strings. Otherwise, there is no tobacco on the earth, now or in the past, that is worth, to me, the kind of money being shelled out. There is no shortage of great smokes on shelves.
There is another way to get a sample of unobtainium without being gelded by a scalper. Ask the membership here. People here are often generous and will share what they have. Curiosity can be satisfied without leaping off the cliff.
FWIW, Esoterica blends are made for the US market, not worldwide. Germain's is a small operation that produces a wide variety of blends, so their deliveries are pretty spotty. And if it turns out that all the tobacco is flowing to China and we're wiped out, I'll be happy to be a greedy SOB and sell to you desperate suckers. :D

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Is $200 a tin Penzance the tip of the tobacco iceberg? Or do other vintage tins regularly sell for similar amounts or higher?
Thankfully I have never got the rare vintage tobacco urge--the future inability to repurchase more always aborted any attempt to buy expensive vintage tobaccos (what's the point of buying one tin of something that will be near impossible to replace)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is $200 a tin Penzance the tip of the tobacco iceberg? Or do other vintage tins regularly sell for similar amounts or higher?
House of Sobrainie products, like the Original Smoking Mixture, 759, Sullivan & Powell, etc get those kinds of prices and more. I've seen cutter top tins of the Va/Per Three Nuns hit that mark and much, much more. Generally star names get star prices, and most of that action is going to Asia. I'm sometimes surprised at what gets a lot of money, like the enamel tins of Escudo at $125 and up. I paid about $25 for mine and I thought that was a lot. Of course, I've been smoking long enough to remember when I could walk into a tobacco shop and buy it off the shelf.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Vintage Dunhill (before 90's), and all the mentioned old classics above are easily making between 200 to 400$ :)

Dont like it but ... it is a free market indeed.

No seller will refuse to receive more money from willingly giving it buyers :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"someone sold their soul on ebay and someone paid thousands for it"
Didn't Deathmetal buy that?
Then there was the impoverished student who put her virginity up for sale to support her university costs :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.