Bare Wood Chambers on Brand New Pipes

(24 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by Olkofri
  • Latest reply from shaintiques
  1. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, just had my second session with my no longer brand new churchwarden. I've a bit of an issue, though.

The christening was with Capstan Yellow ready rubbed, and I could taste a bit of the grassiness of the VAs. I fired the second bowl to-day with Blockade Runner, and... man, all I could taste was burnt wood. How long till the chamber gets primed and I can start tasting the actual tobacco? This experience is making me want to avoid uncoated chambers from now on.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really? I have broken in a couple of Chacoms with no inside coating, and they both tasted fine from first puff. No issues at all.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have artisan pipes with no coating and the first couple of bowls were a bit "woody".

Try some Prince Albert, since it cakes at near record speed.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Won't an OTC ghost the pipe? I had intended this pipe to be dedicated to VA/VaPer blends. It is my understanding that VA/VaPers have a very subtle taste profile and can be easily overshadowed by stuff like latakia or aros.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, it varies per pipe. I have a commissioned pipe that took forever to get past the new briar stage. It was worth the wait, though so give it some time. Like Ash said, change tobacco's.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Honestly, I've ended up removing the coatings in my pipes that had it. I'd rather pop in some Carter Hall and let it slowly build that carbon layer. Not sure I've ever heard of something like CH ghosting a pipe, but if it did, you could always run PA through it to cleanse it a bit.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have no access to either OTC. What's in Lane's department that matches them? My local B&M carries bulk Lane's blends.

In my 'cellar' I've HGL, MV-1000, and... well, I have to ask which is the actual number for what the local shop sells as 'Commodore'. I've also BCA.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Won't an OTC ghost the pipe?

Ghosting is blown out of proportion. Most ghosts can be cleared out with one or two smokes. Even a Lakeland can be killed with a lat bomb. If you had a good experience with Capstan in the pipe, finish breaking it in with that.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to use Carter Hall for break in, Briar Fox is another good one but pretty much any straight Burley will work just fine. I would stay away from the heavily topped aro’s.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also think ghosting is overrated. A light aro won't ruin your pipe. Even mild virginias will eliminate the ghost after a few bowls. I haven't had a lakeland blend yet, so I don't know about those. Lat ghosts are stubborn and for my palate unpleasant, so I try to avoid those, but a light aro ghost like vanilla or liquorice is no problem.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotcha. Thanks, mates!

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don’t stress olkofri. Keep smoking slow and build some carbon

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started to avoid coated bowls, you never know what's hiding under there. Plus, I like the new briar flavor, & I've found some coatings to taste weird. If I get a pipe with a coating, I wipe it out with alcohol.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hate the coating in new pipes. Bought a new Peterson K Briar the coating covered a poor drill into the chamber. Coating come of exposing it, thankfully carbon has covered the area.
    All the pipes I have had that were coated tasted bad for 3 or 4 smokes.
    Much prefer a bare wood chamber.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to break in with Virginia blends. I think you can tell more about how neutral the pipe smokes with that genre than any other. And a Virginia won't ghost the pipe. Perhaps you're smoking a bit hot but it isn't totally unusual to taste a bit of wood on a new pipe.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I have a fast cadence. It doesn't help either that my Kiribi's flint died and the large flame of the Bic tends to char the rim (cobs) or the inner edge of the rim (this particular pipe). I'll just keep at it with Capstan, I guess.

I don't mind pre-carbs/coatings, as long as they're not an exaggeration like the one applied to the Nording Compass I recently got: man, it took like 60 swabbings with vodka for the Q-tip to come out grey instead of black!

Maybe I'll follow the pipe maker's (MacQueen) advice and apply some honey to the chamber. Not keen on coatings of my own, but maybe.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah,a MacQueen. Is it briar? A lot of their pipes are hardwood and more likely to taste burned. Take it slow.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

I ageee with Embers. Smoke what you want in it and scare those ghosts away.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah,a MacQueen. Is it briar? A lot of their pipes are hardwood and more likely to taste burned. Take it slow.

Yup, Crash; it is that one, the one with the 'pits'.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never met a bowl coating that didn't taste far more disgusting than bare wood. As far as the Lane question, try Lane Limited Ready-Rubbed. It is pretty spot-on as an old-school burley OTC. I love the stuff almost as much as Prince Albert.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of my new pipes have come coated, but I have always given extra points for an uncoated chamber on a new pipe, and I've never had any problems, smoked 'em gently and carbonized them just fine. I think ardent puffers who smoke a pipe hot have the most to worry about and might do more to spare the briar. But generally, the uncoated bowl is kind of classy and can work out just fine. Sip, sip.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

Coffee grounds and alcohol will get rid of them in my experience. As for bowl coatings, I only have experience with dip staining, and that is NOT nice.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been breaking in my new pipes with a Va, Vaper or Vabur flake for a number of years now. For me they build a nice hard cake very quickly. All of the naked bowls I have broken in will give a wood type flavor towards the bottom of the bowl, never from the get go.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  24. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer a bare bowl personally. I like the sweet briar taste I get from the first couple of bowls. It seems it doesn't matter what the recipe is for a bowl coating, I can taste it, and I don't like it. Hence I rarely buy a pipe with a pre-coat. Each to their own I suppose.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, tufftony, paulfg, buzkirk