PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Just out of curiosity, perhaps in a couple months maybe a couple years down the line, what do you think would be the least amount gear needed to carve a pipe from a chunk of wood? I'm thinking pretty low-tech, no power tools. Something I can do at night when I can't sleep without bothering anyone. I'm sure any decent carving kit would do, but what about drilling the bowl and shank by hand?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I did one out of apple wood that took 22 hrs. to carve. All done by hand.

I used a small hand saw, a knife, sand paper, 2 drill bits, and a vise grip to hold the bits.

No power tools at all. 1st and last one I'll do like that.

Oh ya, some band aids as well. :rofl:

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
I use a cheap 5in disk and belt sander combo,50 bucks.

Dremmel for final shaping.and rusticating if you want.

Gouger i made for 12 bucks for rustic work.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
I have been using some fairly minimal tools to make my pipes. I use a belt sander, a drill press, a dremol, and then I spend lots of time filing and sanding. I hope to buy a bandsaw and lathe at some point as well. Maybe try your hand at a pipe kit to start off, thats where my addiction started.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I would say the the absolute bare minimum would be a coping saw, a rasp, a drill, and sandpaper. If you're coming from a kit the drill won't be necessary.

If you want to get more bare drop the saw and make it a hand drill. Just be prepared to become very good friends with sore arms. :D

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd go with a pre-drilled kit. Drilling without a drill press or lathe can be tricky,although it is possible. You would need a modified (re-ground) spade bit for drilling the chamber. Getting the tenon the right diameter and facing the block and stem can also be a problem.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Check out PIMO. They have an excellent book available on pipe making with minimal tools.

http://www.pimopipecraft.com/

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm working on a pre-drilled right now using only a dremel and various bits. If you get a pre-drilled then I can see a standard pocket-knife and some patience providing you with a pretty unique, if rough hand-whittled pipe.
I was in the position (still am really) when I decided to start that I had practically no tools and no money. I lucked into the dremel kit, but a lathe would make things a helluva lot easier. Making do with what is available is a great skill, but nothing beats having the right tools for the job.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have more tools than a normal person should have. I love the lathe for drilling and partial shaping. After that it's a five inch Velcro disk mounted in a Jacobs chuck on the lathe to shape almost to the finished state with various grits of paper. To finish shaping it's an assortment of fine files and hand held paper followed by buffing and finishing. One handy hint is to apply your stain early in the sanding process. it will show you where you need to do more work. Stain, sand, restain and repeat until you are satisfied.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
My advice for setting up a proper briar workshop is to take out a second mortgage on your house. Squeeze as much cash as you possibly can out of the deal (you're going to need it) and it will help if you sell your car also. :)

(-Advice from a man who's been buying tools for six months)

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
All I have is a small handheld band saw and some files and knives and tons and tons of sandpaper.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I was born with a short attention span. So i have to have a few power tools.

An of brand rotary with a flex shaft ( Ace Tool ), 4 in bench sander (H.Frt.),

hand drill-bits-burs and sand paper. No knives, being unable to sharpen than is also

one of the things I was born without.

A good bench to set on,can of cold beer and of course your pipe.

Joe

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I know it's not a tool, but lots of patience is also something any pipe maker needs. I try to have at least a couple pipes in the works at any one time, that way if I become disgusted/at an impass with one, I can pick up another and take off from there.
As said, if your new to this and just wanting to try it at first, go with a pre-drilled kit. Also, go with cheap to begin with, as most pre-drilled will smoke just fine and saving money on the first few will allow you to purchase more briar and better quality if you decide to keep with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.