PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
I'll start with the question for those of you (like myself) that like to get straight to the point: What would you consider to be a bare minimum pipe rotation to keep pipes in good condition, reduce the risk of ghosting, and smoke on average 2 bowls a day?
Now for some background. I am not a "pipe guy". They're tools to get the delicious tobacco smoke into my mouth as cool and dry as possible. However, I still want quality long lasting "tools" that I won't have to buy or replace often. For me, that eliminates the "just get 7 cobs" option. Not that they won't fit the bill, just not what I'm looking for. I smoke about 70% Virginia or VaPer and 30% English.
Here are the options I am considering:
1 Wiebe Radiator with three bowls. 2 bowls dedicated to Va/VaPer so I can rest one while smoking the other. 1 bowl for English blends as I very rarely smoke more than 3-4 bowls of English a week. I'm leaning towards a Radiator for the cool and dry smoke it's known for and the fact that I can replace the bowl in the future (for relatively cheaply) if they end up getting damaged for whatever reason.
2 Meerschaum Pipes. 1 for Va/VaPer. 1 for English. My understanding is (please correct me if I am wrong) that Meerschaum can be smoked back to back with a short cool-down period. But that comes at the cost of price, durability, and the risk of "clogging" the pores with wet/oily tobaccos.
I have no experience with Radiators or Meerschaum so any input from those of you with more experience than I would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It all depends on you. I test some pipes out by smoking nothing but that pipe for a month or longer. My first Kaywoodie Super Grain of the modern production I smoked once or twice a day for months with no negative effects. I make sure to run a pipe cleaner after every bowl and fold it over and clean the inside of the bowl. I think minimum really could be two briar pipes, one for English and one for Virginia, and I put my burley through either.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cobs should indeed fill the bill. With proper care they'll last through years of heavy smoking and two bowls a day is hardly gonna wear out one cob. So, given your smoking habits, two cobs or, two of anything should do you just fine.
Your options are not unreasonable and if you are comfortable with them, go for it. There are no hard and fast rules. The pipe is a fairly simple tool to use and you can make as many rules as you wish. Keep it simple or complicate it was much as it takes to make you feel satisfied. If ghosting is something you can't abide, perhaps a pipe for each blend type. Or, one for each tin you open. You can make your own rules as you go.
Filling the meer with tars and such is what most meer smokers are trying to do as they enjoy smoking. You can't keep that from happening. It's what meerschaum does.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
Bare minimum for two bowls a day? I would think you could get by with one pipe--assuming you smoke to the bottom and do basic cleaning after each smoke. I think two would be plenty. Given that you smoke both VA and occasional English, I'd say go for three--dedicating one to latakia.
Even if you are going for three, you must be well on your way if you've been smoking for two years.
Does that fact that you are looking at Wieb and Meerschaum mean that you are unhappy with traditional briar?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you smoke dry tobacco, your chamber will be dry at the end. Therefor no need to rest the pipe. Ghosting between VaPers and English? What little there is, many people enjoy that.
But three pipes minimum.
I don't care for radiator pipes, mostly on aesthetic grounds. YMMV. It does for many.
I love meers, but I'd start with three briars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting proposition with unusual but perfectly reasonable choices. Since most of us end up with a good many more pipes than that, for whatever reasons, I'd say follow your plan and see where it takes you. Since you came up with it, it might be just the way for you to go. I don't think you'd find a limited pipe rotation deficient, though like most of us, you might be tempted to get at least a few more over time. Maybe make a deadline in the future to reevaluate and then decide again if it is right for you, like maybe two years out (for example). Looking back, visualizing following that plan myself, I think I would miss variations like a really small pipe or two, a large one or two, and a variety of shapes, but that's why I have a sort of pipe shop at home. Let us know how it's going over time.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I agree with 3 pipes: one for Latakia, one for aromatics, and everything else (except Lakeland) in the third.
But be prepared, because there will always be room for one more...

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
Does that fact that you are looking at Wieb and Meerschaum mean that you are unhappy with traditional briar?
Not unhappy by any means. I've been smoking a Morgan Bones the past couple months that I have come to really enjoy and is actually the coolest smoking briar I have ever had, though I certainly haven't smoked quality briars yet. I'm interested in the Radiator mainly for the dry smoke it provides. I love Va/VaPers but find that the moisture content I enjoy leaves a little dottle in the bottom of the bowl, just enough for me to want to rest the pipe for a while before smoking again. And Meers because they can be smoked frequently with less rest, so if I only had 2 pipes and wanted to smoke literally all day long I could without worrying. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I just don't have the years of experience to feel confident I'm not going to prematurely wear the pipe.
I'd buy the Radiator. I love mine. I own a Poker and a small Bent.
Good to know! Thanks for the input. Are there any tips or advice you would give someone buying one for the first time? I've yet to really hear anything negative.
Looking back, visualizing following that plan myself, I think I would miss variations like a really small pipe or two, a large one or two, and a variety of shapes, but that's why I have a sort of pipe shop at home.
That's also been a minor concern of mine. It seems common that people can tell a difference in a blend when smoked in different size and shape bowls and while I can't detect that myself (or haven't yet) it could be an aspect of pipe smoking I miss out on. Thanks for the insight and it has given me something to think about. It may be worthwhile having a very small collection as opposed to "bare minimum" even though I'm more keen on collecting tins than briars.
Filling the meer with tars and such is what most meer smokers are trying to do as they enjoy smoking. You can't keep that from happening. It's what meerschaum does.
If possible, could you expand on that? I understand the inevitable fact that the pores will become clogged. But why is this desired or advantageous? Maybe I'm reading the wrong information but it sounded to me like this would cause the pipe's ability to dissipate heat to diminish as this tar builds up? I would love any clarification or additional info, or to be pointed in the right direction of some already published.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's a very porous mineral and the coloring comes from the residues, tar and what have you, flowing into the pores. Most people enjoy watching the coloring process of their meerschaums. The pipe gets a wee bit heavier but, continues to dissipate heat well. It's simply the structure of the mineral, solid but porous. Now pressed meers and African meers are not porous or, as porous and the coloring, in my opinion leaves much to be desired. African meers are also sold artificially colored. Pressed meers are made using a binder and so, not porous.
Again, it's what meerschaum (sepiolite) does and you can't stop it. You might slow the coloring through vigorous wiping (scrubbing?) before the pipe cools but, it will absorb the residues and color while being smoked.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you're looking for bare minimum, it would be one. I prefer dedicating a pipe to a genre of blends, so in your case, 3 would be adequate. Just me but I'd smoke MM's before I'd go the radiator pipe route. Why don't you just get 3 decent briars and call it a day? Add to that as time goes on should you feel the need or want.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Are there any tips or advice you would give someone buying one for the first time?
After you smoke the bowl, unscrew it from the base to dump it. When the metal reservoir is full of gunk, just rinse the metal part with hot water, run a cleaner through it and let dry. Good to go.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Bare minimum? Just take those Falcons with cangeable bowls, they are cheaper than radiators and you can buy many different types of bowls. Simple briar, meer, meer-lined, etc.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
4 pipes, 2 each day, will give them plenty of rest and allow you to have different pipes for different blend types.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Bare minimum? One pipe.
If you feel the need for backup? Two pipes.
Your concern over ghosting has turned this into a three pipe problem. :puffpipe:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And, that's "No sh**, Sherlock!" :)
Three, the magic number. But one is also correct. As is two... Then there's four, five and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.