PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
My local b+m is Barclay Rex on 42nd street in Manhattan. Their pipe tobacco stockist, Terrance, is very personable and happy to answer questions and offer insight. He's given me a few samples of different flakes to try and each one has been right up my alley. Plus, they stock Penzance, Stonehaven, and other Esoterica blends in bulk. I actually prefer this store to the venerable Nat Sherman just down the street as Barclay Rex has a more down to earth, approachable vibe. If in town, be sure to pay both locations a visit to see for yourself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What timing! I just unearthed a B-R billiard and smoked it for the first time in 50 years! Loved that store, though haven't been there in that long.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I made that comparison a few years ago. I did like Barclay Rex as a more casual retail store. It is much smaller, had no smoking area that I could see, though I think smoking is permitted. Everyone stands, and if you get more than six or eight customers, it is really too small. But as you point out, it is casual and the staff approachable. I really did like Nat Sherman, the atmospherics of the huge clock over the door, the expansive smoking area including rockers outside the humidor where I sat down to smoke some NS 536. Nat Sherman does cultivate a kind of high end atmosphere, and if you get the big-ego cohort in there puffing cigars and showing off their Italian suits, it might not be comfortable, but I was lucky and had a few random cigar smokers, no other pipe smokers, and an extremely attentive senior staff person who set me up with tobacco. If you catch NS at the right time, it can be really pleasant and relaxing. I like them both, but they are different experiences.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
mso489, you nailed it about the atmosphere in NS. I think overall, especially when I has a number of Italian power suit customers in there, it can be an intimidating atmosphere. BR does allow smoking anywhere in their small shop but I should give NS another go. Hopefully it will be a more casual experience. I do have to say that I met a very knowledgable individual at NS who was happy to answer questions I had. I subsequently met him at a NY Pipe Club meeting and asked how long he'd be working at Nat Sherman. Turns out he isn't employed there but loves to hang out and offer advice to customers, much to the encouragement of theirs staff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How interesting about the volunteer pipe consultant at NS. I ran into an ultra-talkative non-staff expert at a J&R outlet one time. He had suggestions and recommendations about all the tobacco, but seemed unable to stop talking or listen at all, so I finally had to give him the slip. I didn't want to be unkind, but I don't think he had much self-control. The man you encountered sounds knowledgeable and helpful -- a different sort.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Yes, a great guy. He was very generous as well - bringing a nice selection of tobacco to the meeting I mentioned for others to sample.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Just paid visits to both two stores after the Chicago show a few days ago. I was very disappointed. Got some pouches of store blended tobacco. But they smoked like ...... a homage to the food in U.S. ...

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
halfy, what was disappointing about the shops? Was it the service or small selection you had issue with? I personally feel the selection of pipe tobacco at both stores is very limited which seems odd considering NYC is as big as it is.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But they smoked like ...... a [sic] homage to the food in U.S. ...
Arch! And unnecessary. The U.S. has some of the best restaurants in the world, and some of the worst. There's no country where you can't get lousy food.
Where do you live that the food is uniformly good??

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I personally feel the selection of pipe tobacco at both stores is very limited which seems odd considering NYC is as big as it is.
They probably only stock what they sell the most of. NYS tobacco taxes leave NY B&M's at a great disadvantage compared to online prices. I live in NY, and basically can't order from Cup O'Joes because they are required to add the 55% tax on tobacco.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for that insight, Dave. Makes a lot of sense. I have noticed the prices for tins at NYC shops can be 3x what they are online. I am happy though that BR stocks Penzance and Stonehaven in bulk (when they get shipments that is).

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have a soft spot for Barclay-Rex; some of their pipes that can be found in the estate market are excellent smokers. :wink:

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I found an old Barclay Rex prince at a flea market months ago for $10. After a salt and alcohol treatment and thorough cleaning, it smokes and looks fantastic. I've dedicated it to English blends. The short wide bowl really gives the component flavors room to make themselves known.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I visited over 20 "pipe shops" in Chicago and NYC. Most of them had given way to hookahs, e-cigarettes or even candies ...
Everything is dying sooner or later. Not just the pipe or tobacco thing, retail stores are being killed by online. Anyway we are still able to find something. The world is still ok without dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.