PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
This Christmas I will having a new pipe from She Who Must Be Obayed and it looks as though it will be a Savinelli but I have no experience of balsa filters.I would appreciate any comments.I do have one filter pipe,a Vauen Tartuga and I get on with it fine but have not used balsa.What do you thik folks

Tom :puffy:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Being thrifty (bloody cheap). When I had one that took the balsa filters I grabbed some balsa pieces at the local hobby shop that were the right size. Worked a treat!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I didn't like the balsa filter in my Savinelli Bing's Favorite. Restricted the draw too much. You can buy a filter replacement tube, which is just a vulcanite tube that fits where the filter goes, from any of the vendors on this forum. That's my take on it, anyway.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
I like em and use them in almost all of my filter pipes. The only exception being my stanwell and thats just because it uses 9mm filters and i only have 6mm lol.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I am not typically a fan of filters, but I make an exception for Savinelli, to the point I am on a Savinelli buying spree. This is especially with aromatics because they tent to smoke wet. I don't find that it restricts the smoking enough for me to tell and it keeps me pipe dry. As said above the have an adapter (cheap or comes with the pipe) if you don't like it. :puffpipe:

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Thanks fellahs for the advice,I may go with Uncle Arthur,I am rather frugal ( thats Celt for cheapskate ) and grandson has plenty of balsa so I wont even have to buy any :lol:

cafeartin

Lurker
Oct 13, 2011
I check the balsa filter 6 years ago. It is very good. No change in tobacco taste and it is full natural. I think it is berry better that active carbon filters.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I have a Savinelli Bing's Favorite and use the balsa filters because I tend to be a wet smoker. If you buy a new Bing's Favorite, it will come with an adaptor to replace the filter. If it doesn't have one, you can buy them cheaply at Pipes and Cigars or Smoking Pipes.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I have a Savinelli, and I tried the balsa filters that came with it, but I only used the filters a couple of times. I'm not a huge fan of filters. I like a full smoke. Even if a balsa filter doesn't restrict the draw, in my mind, the thought of a filter doesn't sit right with me.

Darn, how many times will I say "filter?" :rofl:

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I wouldn't really even call the 6mm balsa a filter. It is more like a moisture trap. I use the same one for about 5 bowls. If you don't like it, every new Sav I bought came with a tube insert to replace the filter and correct the airflow. My biggest complaint is not being able to run a cleaner through without removing the balsa but no big deal.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I own several Savinellis. Early on I used the balsa filters. I have since replaced them with the vulcanite tubes so I can run a pipe cleaner through the pipe without waiting for it to cool and taking the pipe apart...

Status
Not open for further replies.