PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Alright folks, I'm at the point where two full kitchen cupboards from top to bottom are full of nothing but ball/kerr/mason jars of tobacco. I've been buying a lot of bulk recently, and have reached critical mass for storage.
I have a fair amount of floor space to devote- a large kitchen with room for pantries, chests, etc; and 2 spare bedrooms.
I'm looking at a few floor to ceiling pantries, but these are very inefficient for jars. What I'd really like is something that is geared towards jars (where the tops are visible), and I can pick around for what I want without rearranging the shelves. In a perfect world, there'd be something like a clothes dresser which the drawers are dimensioned for quart jars. Given the large amounts of people who can food, I have to imagine that such a contraption exists.
I can build my own stuff if necessary, but I'm really hoping for something pre-made that looks decent in a living space. Or at least better than Rubbermade totes stacked in a corner.
Any ideas?

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Cheap and easy stackable boxes. Easy to label the boxes and jars are easy to find inside.
https://www.uline.com/BL_29/Canning-Jar-Boxes

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Check out Muttonchop's video on these wooden crates. Not sure how you'd store them floor to ceiling but they seem to fit mason jars perfectly in the direction you want them to go.
Muttonchop

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Something along these lines you can adjust it you dyi.

23109.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I use these crates from Michael's. I have to be able to see my jar lids straight on and not stacked. I use the crates vertically in cupboards and also stacked in drawers in my toabcco humidor.
kqVrUAP.jpg

tBr26t1.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@exbenedict. I love that links! I will probably buy some of those boxes. I like that they come in various jar sizes. thanks for posting.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
A one quart mason jar is only about six inches tall so, as long as the dresser drawer is that deep, you could use it to store jars of tobacco upright.
I've also been looking for a more efficient and elegant way of storing jarred tobacco (it's a pain to be rooting through boxes looking that tin of Dunhill Light Flake you bought in 2010) and came across Amish jelly cabinets. The only problem is, they're not cheap. Here's a source if you're interested: https://www.dutchcrafters.com/Amish-Jelly-Cabinets/cat/538. You can find lots of other sellers with a Bing search.
As for using wine racks to store jars of tobacco, I'd be worried about the fact that they don't keep out the light. My understanding is that tobacco should be kept in the dark for long term storage.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Awesome ideas guys...
I guess I should have mentioned that I live in a very active earthquake zone...
npod- those look great, were they in the store at Michaels' or did you order them?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I got the crates in the store, but you can get them online also https://www.michaels.com/rtf-wood-soda-crate-by-artminds/10280266.html#q=crates+&pmpt=qualifying&sz=24&start=50
Btw, credit goes to Muttenchop from an old YouTube video he did.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
npod:
What size jars are those? Reason I ask is that I went to Michaels this morning and found the crate you mentioned. I grabbed a quart jar from their shelf, and test fit it- the box slots were too small. They didn't have any widemouth quart jars open, so I couldn't test fit one of those.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
loadclear, yeah the crate only holds the standard 8 oz mouth canning jars from the grocery store. No wide mouthed jars. But that size is generally good for active smoking tobaccos in rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.