PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
OK- so I bought my first ounce of Balkan mix today from local tobacconist (contains a lot of latakia I think)...usually I smoke more aromatic blends (Condor, or something with a bit of cherry in it, Danish blend etc.). The Balkan stuff smelt heavy and bitter, so I just put a pinch in with some Kentucky Nougat (a fairly light, slightly sweet aromatic), but even at that low concentration I just couldnt enjoy it- it tasted chemical, bitter, heavy, almost ammoniac. Is this normal? Should I perservere or accept that it's something i just don't like.?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would guess that by putting in a pinch of this Balkan blend - whatever it is - with your aromatic, you set up a bad thing.

A Balkan is gonna be a full flavored blend - latakia, orientals. Try it straight up. Give it a chance on its own. But it is not gonna taste like an aromatic.

Jul 15, 2011
Try it straight up
Second that comment. Latakia, especially in high doses, can be something of an acquired taste, like coffee or hard liquor. If you dont find that you like it mixed with an aro, try it by itself, and dont always judge the taste of the smoke by what you smell in the bag/tin. Youd be surprised how many times the bag smell doesnt translate to the smoke.
You tastes will always be changing!
Second on that as well. I hated Virginia based blends when I first started smoking a pipe, but with keeping an open mind and really concentrating on what the taste truly is, anymore, Virginias are about all I smoke! The hobby is so ever evolving and you pallete is always changing and the nice thing is that with the variety of blends on the market, youre bound to find something that you like sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.