Balkan Sasieni-Smoke from opened tin after 4 years?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlebe

Lurker
Mar 19, 2015
Sao Paulo-Brazil
Hello dear Pipe enthusiast friends!
I have been a pipe smoker and fan since I was 17 years old, I guess I got interested when as a child I would be around my father who old smoke a pipe once in a while.
He was not a very connoisseur on the different Tobaccos we have available for our delight (thanks god!) and would only stick to the poor aromatic brands we had available in Brazil during the early 80s.
Myself, on the other hand always liked trying different tobaccos and as a business consultant would always be buying new tins on my business trips abroad.
The thing is, my love for the pipe is a on and off affair. I smoke for a while, then it just happens I leave it for a year, maybe two, then I return to it... I guess it all depends on where Im living at the moment, who my current wife is , and how bossy she is regarding smoke in our home! :lol:
That said, Im now (yaaaaaayy!!!) living on one of my love moments with the pipe, and last week I found in my stuff a nice tin of a Balkan Sasieni, which I really love.
The thing is, it was not a sealed tin... It was probably opened 4 years ago with Im not mistaken.... I smoked probably 3 or 4 bows of it and forgot to properly place it in a mason jar.
I decided to try it just a couple of hours ago, and although it was really really dry (on the crispy side) it kind of taste quite all right! Maybe its just me that lost my taste for a good tobacco.. I really don't know.
I know I can still try to rehydrate it and it might get even a bit better but my doubt is: Is it okay to smoke tobacco from an opened tin that was lying around for 4 years? Or should I just toss it away?
Thanks in advance for your expertise considerations!
Kindest Regards;
Vagner Levy

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I don't think there was much original moisture anyway. It might be stale from oxidation, but not much drier than it was when packed. (or maybe I'm confusing that with WhiteKight)

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
welcome aboard, vibe. Many people here have had an early love affair with the pipe that went cold and then was rekindled later in life. My cigar buddies say it takes too much trouble to smoke a pipe. I just smile about that, because if you see it as trouble, you probably really do not get pipe smoking anyway. Like they say about sex, half the fun is getting there.

wait a minute was that sex.... :roll: oh well you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
If you are enjoying the flavour of that tin of tobacco then by all means smoke it up just the way it is.

Perhaps rehydrate a small portion of it to see if the flavour improves at all?

Otherwise...enjoy! :puffy:

vlebe

Lurker
Mar 19, 2015
Sao Paulo-Brazil
Hey guys!
Thanks for your inputs on the subject! I did rehydrated the Balcan and it stills tasted very nice indeed!
I would say that I found it a lil less "spicy" than I though it were when crispy dry, but anyways, it was flavourful !
Last week I also found an opened tin of Presbyterian that was probably opened also at least 3 years ago... Thats what I`ve been smoking these last 10 days and it is still great!!! I might also rehydrate half of what is left and make a head to head comparison later on !
Cheers everyone!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have a single tin of Nightcap that has been opened for the last two years, and it still tastes fine every 6 months of so when I want a couple bowls of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.