PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
This was an A+ for me. Exactly what I wanted it to be...but not different enough to make me invest in it. Good strong latakia flavor, with some nice spice. I think the same thing can be accomplished in a myriad of other ways, which will only make it a single tin try.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Coincidently, I just had four tins of this arrive in the mail today. My brother in law had bought a tin and I had the pleasure of smoking a bowl with him one night. I was sold, this stuff is fantastic, honestly, its great stuff. Its also cheap for such a good tobacco, the tins go for inbetween 7 and 8 dollars on 4noggins and SP. The tin in the picture of the review has a price tag of 18 bucks on it, I don't know how it was that much, maybe it was bought in Canada.
Anyway, awesome review and i'm glad this blend got some credit here.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I agree it was good. I just couldn't bring it far enough away on the palate from DH 965 or some of the others. How does it compare to 965 in your opinion?

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
To be completely honest I can't tell it from PS Balkan Supreme which is a LOT less expensive.
P&C has Balkan Sasieni for $6.88

4 Noggins has Balkan Sasieni for &7.49

SP has Balkan Sasieni for $7.46
PS Balkan Supreme is $4.25 an oz. 1.76 ozs =$7.48
They are about the same price.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
In all fairness to Uncle Arthur, Supdog, that post is two years old. Who knows where prices were at that time? OP Bob's tin had an eighteen buck price tag three years back and I've recently seen several sites listing Balkan Sasieni at 9.95 per tin.
Fnord

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Yeah, I know that was two years ago and I had no ill intentions towards Uncle Arther, I was just showing that if anyone wanted to try it, it's priced about the same as PSBS. Here in town (central Texas) I purchased a tin a few months back for around $16-$17.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Cigars International has it for $6.75 per tin, mail order. I find it at $7.95 at the store. It is a pretty decent value and I always have a supply handy.

Jul 15, 2011
Balkan Sasieni was the first blend that I ever tried that had latakia and it has started a long and sordid affair with the dark mistress that has lasted as long as I have been piping. Its been a long time since I smoked any, might have to snag a tin with my next order.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It's one of my go-to blends. As for the differences between Balkan Sasieni and Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme ..... other than the finer, more consistent shag cut of the former, I cannot tell them apart once loaded and lit.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
After all this talk about it I had to got out and have a bowl. It was better than the last time I had it (this was only my third bowl). Probably just me (only been smoking a pipe for 8 months) but it tasted sweeter and I could taste the orientals more. Tomorrow I'll have to smoke some PSBS and compare.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It was better than the last time I had it
It's a solid blend but does have some complexity, even two bowls one after another ( in different pipes ) will taste different.
it tasted sweeter
I notice that too. Especially if it had some airing/drying time since. I find it a bit on the bitter side fresh out the tin ( probably has to do with the moisture level )

Aug 1, 2012
I liked the taste of this blend but it bites me no matter what. I've jarred the rest of the tin just to see if it changes with time and my improving smoking technique.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
captain, now that you mentioned that, I do recall when I first smoked this, and even now, I get a little nip. I think because it is so mild, sweet and incense-like ( not like Penzance, but you know what I mean ) that one could get carried away and puff it hard enough to get tongue burn ...

Status
Not open for further replies.