PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I greatly enjoy Balkan Sasieni and have bought many tins (~$10/50g tin) over the years. Recently, I purchased several pounds of this in bulk from Cup O Joes at ~$40/lb. This represents quite a savings. However, after going through a pound of this weed, over the last couple of months, I can not convince myself that the bulk version is one and the same as the tin version. Is Cup O Joes "Balkan Sasieni" simply an in-house recreation of the blend, in which case it would approach, but not necessarily be identical with, the actual the blend itself, as represented by the 50g tin? Or are they one and the same? Both products carry the exact same description: "Original formula Balkan pipe tobacco smoking mixture was created in London at the beginning of the century by a gifted family of Master Tobacco Blenders, who first combined the aromatic pleasures of the choicest of Macedonia and Latakia leaf with the richness of Old Virginia, to give the pipe smoker an unrivaled smoking pleasure. Old timers know this blend as Balkan Sobranie".
from http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=balsas50
Anyone else out there that has tried these blends in a side-by-side comparison?
Happy Smoking.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
I have not had the Cup O Joes version. But I do know for fact that Balkan Sasieni (tin) and Balkan Supreme (bulk) are the exact same tobacco.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I beg to disagree. I've smoked both Balkan Supreme and Sasieni. Balkan Supreme is a less expensive substitute. It is also less flavorful. Balkan Sasieni is a go to smoke for me and Balkan Supreme is on my not to be reordered list.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've been smoking Balkan Sasieni for quite a while now, and like you, it's my go to weed for Latakia and Orientals, but I still like GLP Westminster & Odyssey better. Thought I could save by goin with CupOJoes, but it doesn't taste the same despite the similar advertisement. Guess I'll cough up the dough for more tins. Anyone know if they make 8 or 16 oz. tins?

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I haven't seen it in large tins, but Smokingpipes.com gives a quantity discount on tins.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Balkan-Sasieni/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=174

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I get my Balkan Sasieni from Smokingpipes. They come cello wrapped in a stack of five. Interesting about the Odyssey though. I have an open tin in my bedroom lounge area that is a before bed smoke for me. I tried it and find that the Sasieni is more appealing to my taste buds. The Odyssey seems a bit one dimensional. I also have a still unopened tin of Maltese Falcon that's on deck for when I finish the Odyssey. I hope it is more flavorful. I always like a Latakia smoke before bedtime. Recently, I've begun to appreciate cigar blends. I smoke C&D Billy Bud and will try Sterlings My Buddy soon. Also on my try list is Habana Daydream. I've tried Dominican Glory Maduro and did not care for it. These though, might be better reserved for guys who don't have a Missus around the house. The glorious cigar aromas are divorce accelerators for sure.

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
I have an unopened Balkan Sasieni tin that I get last week on smokingpipes.com!! Also a tin of Dunhill Early M. This is my first time that I will try both blends!! Many people likes both blends and have excellent reviews! I'm very curious about them!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Kashmir:
I know what you mean. I bought a pound of a copy of Dunhill 965 My Mixture from a tobacconist in Austin, TX and it wasn't even close to the original. If you like a latikia blend with virginia overtones try GLP Meridian since it is a very complex and savory blend or latikia, viginias and orientals in that order.
Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.