PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsoles

Lurker
Sep 6, 2009
I have just tried Balkan Sasieni from my tobacco shop Georgetown Tobacco and am not sure what I think.

They said that it was almost like the original recipe for Balkan Sobranie with less Latakia. It is a cool smoke that does well in my pipe. Has anyone else tried this yet?
I am a new member and look forward to using this site and making contact with other pipe smokers.
Tom

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to the site!
I have not tried Balkan Sasieni, but from what I have read/heard, it is nothing like Balkan Sobranie.
But since I have not smoked either of them, I can not say whether or not they taste the same. Hopefully others who have tried both will chime in and let us know.
I am interested to hear from those who have smoked both and can compare the two.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Georgetown Tobacco has a reputation as a reliable, professional shop. However, I have not had the opportunity to try either of these myself. I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to try the legendary Balkan Sobranie, but I do accept gifts. ;-)

tomsoles

Lurker
Sep 6, 2009
Python and Kevin,

Thanks for the answers and Welcome. As I understand Balkan Sobranie is not sold anymore and Balkan Sasieni has replaced it. Sasieni really grows on you and the more I smoke it the more I like it. I smoked "Sobranie" years ago and remember it as quite strong. I have been smoking pipes off and on for 59 years. I am a retired sculptor and teacher living in Washington DC. Georgetown Tobacco in my home shop and have use them for my tobacco and supplies since the early 60's. I have developed a new interest in pipes and have began to carve my own. More on that later as the process develops.

I also have a question for python. As a Moderator you will have noticed that I filled in a profile which includes my picture. It does not show up on the forum page and I would like it to do so. What do I have to do to make that happen?
Thanks in advance for your help and interest. Tom

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Tom, look here for info on how to set up your picture and other stuff in the forums:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/profiles-avatars-signatures-email-notifications

tomsoles

Lurker
Sep 6, 2009
Keven and python,
I have done what you said, I guess if it was right my picture will show up?

Thanks,
Tom

tomsoles

Lurker
Sep 6, 2009
Well it looks like this site does not want my picture. It only shows the guy with a " ? " on his head.
To bad!
Tom

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
What you need to do is click on the link that says 'member' that is right under your name in a post. After you click that, on the right hand side of the screen will be a box/link that says 'avatar'.

Click on that and then you should be able to upload your avatar.
Hope this helps. If that doesn't work, let us know so we can look into it.

tomsoles

Lurker
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks Python,
You are the man! I am old and slow but I like to think that I never give up.
You sailing pipe smoking friend.

Tom

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I really like Balkan Sasieni. Some say it is the same as PS Balkan Supreme. I say they are different. If only slightly.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Balkan Sasieni is nothing like Balkan Sobranie. Whereas I've smoked plenty of Sasieni I have only smoked a few bowls of Sobranie (which was quite aged). This biggest difference between the two is that Syrian latakia played a crucial role in Sobranie whereas the Sasieni mix hasn't any.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Balkan Sasieni is nothing like Balkan Sobranie. Whereas I've smoked plenty of Sasieni I have only smoked a few bowls of Sobranie (which was quite aged). This biggest difference between the two is that Syrian latakia played a crucial role in Sobranie whereas the Sasieni mix hasn't any.
Do you think adding in some Latakia would bring it closer to the Sobranie?

Status
Not open for further replies.