PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaffers

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
By Gawith Hoggarth's.
My favourite so far after about 5 bowls, out of a very slim beginner portfolio.
Seems to burn a tadge hot for my liking though, even thoroughly tamped down, and the taste is a bit on the flowery side ( Lakeland?) . I'd prefer something earthier, heavier, less subtle. Could do with just a touch more nicotine content too.
Hence where to go from here? Some sort of Cavendish / Latakia blend? So far I like the heavy Cavendish based aromatics for their smoking qualities, though they have little taste and coat my mouth in goo. And the Balkan blend for it's taste, if it isn't quite to my palette. I can picture what I want from a pipe tobacco, I just don't know how to describe it. :)
Certainly nothing soapy or flowery, cool burning with a reasonable kick. Deep, dark and heavy, Balkan blend seems a little bit on the wimpy side.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Maybe Nat Sherman 536 or, the newly re-released Lane Medal of Honor. Both have Latakia and Burley. They (I am basing this on the older MOH) are decently rich with a nice burn (I know what you mean with Gawith's burning qualities). Well worth a try IMHO.
Mike S.

chaffers

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
Is there any such thing as a tobacco which is sour and spicy, rather than sweet and rich? Savoury rather than dessert?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Russ O's Fire Storm might fit the bill for you. Sweet and spicy, savory, satisfying in so many ways. Another is the Seattle Pipe Clubs Deception Pass.

May 4, 2015
Is there any such thing as a tobacco which is sour and spicy, rather than sweet and rich? Savoury rather than dessert?
Go right for Nightcap. It's pretty high in nicotine (though not crazy like a lot of people say) and provides savory creamy smokiness and some sour spice from the perique they throw in at the end.
I'm on a huge latakia/perique kick right now. That flavor combo is really hitting the spot for me at the moment.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
When looking at the blend description, burley is your nicotine and orientals or perique are your spice.

Thats simplifying it greatly, but somewhere to start...
Isaac

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Pipesmokingtom,

Since you are digging the perique, have you tried any othe the CD cellar series, 3 blends, 3 different levels of perique....should satisfy your spicey/smoky-tooth.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
The new Nightcap is a good idea, the nicotine is definitely subdued compared to the blend as it was a decade ago.

May 4, 2015
I haven't tried the cellar series yet, no. I think only one of the five has latakia though - maybe one with dark fired as well that would fit in with my favorites.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Pipesmokingtom,
You're right....the Joie de vivre is the only English...loaded with Nicotine too, if you like that. Good amount of perique as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.