PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A few months ago, I hit the interwebs lottery and scored 3 bags of Esoterica from an online vendor.
I did a cursory squeeze test to determine seal integrity and then tossed them into the cellar (pile?).
Considering aerobic and anaerobic activity, it has occurred to me that those bags may wish to swell at some point.
I recall several people stating that they have successfully aged these blends in the bags.
Has anyone ever noticed any swelling from ageing that might risk a blowout? I'm not seeing any such occurrence, just thinking out loud over multiple gin beverages.
Thanks.

jay-roger.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There's a lot of space in those bags, I don't see that happening. But it seems to make sense to store the individual bags in a one gallon mylar bag heart sealed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There was a thread a few months ago that dealt with pinholes forming in some Esoterica bags at the creases. To deal with this, I heat sealed all of my bags in 7mil food grade Mylar bags. In my case, I sealed each bag individually so that I'm only opening what I need.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have a lot of collectors who swear by using those commercial grade "baggies" to vacuum seal their bagged tobacco purchases such as Esoterica bagged blends. That's for long term storage, of course. Although I've had more factory sealed bags than I can count stand up to 10-15 years in a dark, dry and somewhat cool "cellar," I feel more confident with the contents either after market vacuum sealed or stored in mason jars. I have a bunch of 10-20-30 plus year old Mason Jars full of old leaf that is as moist as the day I bought it in those incredible glass bundles of joy.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
For your own use, glass is the gold standard, but like Jesse and others I know, I store my bagged tobacco in its original package sealed inside an additional aluminum/mylar bag, which is heat sealed, but not vacuum packed. This gives me the advantage of being able to sell bags which I no longer want for full value. Once jarred, tobacco loses some of its value for resale.

Status
Not open for further replies.