PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've been having a very hard time winning auctions on ebay recently. It seems there are a few wealthy individuals with thousands of purchases in front of their stars who are willing to pay top dollar for the beat up pipes I'm used to getting for less than ten bucks. Must be a conspiracy!
I was able to snag this large rustic looking thing. The only identifying mark is "Baer Bowl" stamped in cursive on the bottom of the bowl. Here are a couple pre-resto pictures.
baerbow02_zpsc6082c15.jpg

baerbowl01_zpse0d9e5b3.jpg

Cursory Google research showed me this pipe was made by Miles Baer in Wisconsin. He worked out of his basement shop producing pipes from 1941 until 1972. I found a post by one of his grandchildren in a Usenet archive from 2006 who was looking for some of his grandfather's work. He fondly remembered watching him make pipes in his workshop. I also found a pointer to a newspaper article featuring Mr. Baer as a local craftsman of interest. Too bad it requires a subscription fee to access the archived article.
As you can see from that picture this pipe was not in good shape. In reaming out all that cake I found quite a bit of unburned tobacco bits. The underside of the stem had one of those odd vampiric tooth holes in it. So after much reaming, cleaning and polishing and patching I think I have something smokable.
baerbowlafter_zps11a426d6.jpg

The pipe weighs in at under 3/4 ounce which seems fairly light for a pipe this size which is six inches long. The bowl height is about two inches.
One reference says Baer carved his pipes with a smoke cooling chamber under the tobacco chamber making this a sort of system pipe. I don't see any evidence of this but maybe it's true. I'll let everything dry overnight and give the pipe a try tomorrow.
Does anyone have any information on Miles Baer and his pipes?

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
that bit looked pretty beat up. How did you clean it up so well?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
lucky695, first I filled in the hole on the bottom and the deep bite marks with black super glue gel. I let that dry and sanded it down smooth with a sanding sponge, then with steps of fine micro-mesh pads. I then buffed it with white diamond compound, applied some stem polished and buffed that, then went over it with carnauba wax. Works just about every time!

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
cool thanks for the info.. I have some stems that wont clean up.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The wood grain looks like something other than briar. And the rustication looks like what a lot of companies (Kaywoodie, Custom Bilt) were doing in the 40s. That along with the flared bit make me think it's a 40s-50s pipe. But if a guy was doing them at his house, he could have made the same style pipe the whole time he produced pipes.
It's a nice looking pipe. You've done a good job on the refurb.

kbaer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
I am the poster who has posted of these pipes in the past...Miles Baer was my grandfather and as a child in the early 50's, I watched him make many of his custom pipes.
He lived in Neenah, Wisconsin on the farm that has been in the family since 1860 and he took orders from around the US...He used Algerian briar almost exclusively.
His pipes were known for their hollow expansion chamber beneath the bowl that allowed for the cooling of smoke as it exited.
Miles was born in 1896 and died in 1981...He was a machinist by trade and courted my grandmother on a 1915 Harley (the pictures I have make me smile since my wife and I have ridden Harleys for years).
His pipes were simple and compact in size and not carved...he did use a engraver (as in your example). I do collect his pipes and have several of this model...two never smoked (but now aged very well).

kbaer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
You can not see the expansion chamber since it is under the smoke exit hole....but saw an old Baer bowl at the bottom of the bowl and you will see a hollowed out spot...Grandpa had a special tool that opened and expanded under the smoke hole.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Welcome to the forums, kbaer! It's great to see your post here with more information on the Baer Bowl pipe. It is a wonderful smoker and currently in my weekly five pipe rotation and even more prized now with this provenance. Please post a few pictures sometime of the pipes you have from your grandfather.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Learned, again, to not judge a thread by its cover LOL This turned into a very interesting thread, thank you for posting!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It was abused. However, it's condition has been stabilized, at least for the next 60 years.
Trust me gigger48, I think I've contributed to at least two of the site sponsors since the original post! Sadly, my PAD is crazy out of control at the moment. I spent the weekend boxing up major parts of my collection and only leaving out my favorites.
I wanted to ask kbaer, do you have any other relatives who made pipes? I've found references to two pipe patents and a pipe ad from 1915 by an Abraham Baer of Wisconsin. This is from The Wisconsin Agriculturalist.
Baerpipe1915WisconsinAgriculturist_zpsb2ccef75.jpg

Sorry about the low res image. It was a small ad.

kbaer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
The Baer's of Neenah-Menasha-Oshkosh carved and worked in wood...Louis Baer of Neenah, for example, was well known for duck decoys in the 20's-30's (they are now quite collectible)...
A couple of Baer brothers lived on Wooden Shoe Road outside of Neenah...yep, they carved wooden shoes, among other things.
The Baers around Lake Winnebago are descended from Heinrich (Henry) Baer who migrated from Priebrow, Prussia.
I have no knowledge of an Abraham Baer in the family...

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks for the clarification, kbaer. I see using Ancestry.com that the Abraham (Lincoln) Bear family is from Switzerland and settled in the Milwaukee area.
Also saw a Rhynold and Amelia Baer living in Winnebago in the 1910 census which could be some of your ancestors.
Genealogy and pipe carving....never would have thought of that combination.
I also saw online one of Louis Baer's duck decoys for auction. That's serious business. I can imagine what it would be like to have Decoy Acquisition Disorder. I'd have to rent a hanger to keep them in.

kbaer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
They were living south of Neenah on the Baer farm in 1910...the same old farm house that I spent some great childhood years in.
There was a Germanic community near the old Snells station just south of Neenah....Baers, Weinmans, Muttarts...and they are my ancestors (folks courted at the next farm or two over before cars).
I am the product of two mighty immigration streams...Prussian/Germanic from the north...and my mother was a southern gal from Montgomery....Scots, English, Irish on her side.

Status
Not open for further replies.