PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
A new pipe I got this week has me frustrated and scratching my head. It's a new briar poker, never smoked out of. I have smoked 4 bowls in it. English twice, Virginia once and a local Vir/Per. I have smoked all of these tobaccos in several other pipes without any issue, and love them all. This pipe is different. It doesn't matter which tobacco I smoke out of it, I get a hot, steamy smoke (even Gaslight, which is not what I experience from other pipes with this tobacco), and at some point during the bowl I start to get a bad taste, kinda like gurgle juice, but there is/was no gurgle or juice (yes I ran a pipe cleaner in it to be sure), it's just the best way I can describe the taste. I clean the pipe after every smoke just like my other pipes. I do not blow juice back in the bowl when I'm done. I use pipe cleaners only and swab any moisture out of bowl with a q-tip after each smoke. I also can taste the briar.. I think.
Is this just a young (not aged) briar I'm experiencing and will go away when the pipe is fully broke in? It's little discouraging, and it's caused me not to want to smoke out of it anymore. But I will if advised this will go away in time.
Thanks ahead of time for your help!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Not knowing the pipe maker, I suspect that you are experiencing the wonder of break in, lol. Me, I would stick to one tobacco for the pipe, and give it time to build some cake. Some pipes never get any better, but most do! I have a Butx Choquin for the 80's that still smokes hot and wet after 30+ years. It is so pretty though, I hate to sand the finish off of it.

Now I am not saying to do it, but heavily varnished pipes tend to trap the heat, which I feel contributed to that sort of problem that you are having. I have taken the finish off of a couple of heavily varnished pipes, to find that they smoke much better. For that, I used a dry Mr. Clean magic eraser.

Otherwise, you options include opening the draw to 5/16th, which may help, or just smoking it to death until it works the nasty out of it. There have been several articles here on the Pioesmagazine about pipes that just smoke badly. Good luck!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
rigmedic1, Thanks for those wise words. I wasn't sure if the maker would matter, but it's a Rick Black. I have several other new pipes I am smoking and breaking in that I don't experience this with. But they are, an Old Nellie which is oil cured tho, and 2 Moretti pipes, but they age their briar a min of 10 years in the shop before they use it, and 1 Larrysson Poker (breaking in fine no issues) so I was thinking perhaps this is just what a "normal" pipe taste like to break in.
Thanks again,

Monty

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
You are welcome! I am not familiar with Rick Black or his pipes, but I did look at his website. Very nice work there! You should post some pix of yours. Give it some time, and I bet that pipe will become like an old friend.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I agree with rigmedic1
I also visited the Rick Black website and it's evident he's got some experience under his belt, along with a good dose of creativity.
Don't be too quick to give up on that pipe!
I´d stuff a simple but decent strength blend into it and smoke her like a chimney.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Sounds like maybe the inside might have had some sort of finish.That would make it taste off.If it continues to taste yucky you could always ream it out and give it a bath and start from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.