PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What about pipes has caused you to sell, trade, or give them away, or caused you

not to buy them in the first place. Here are a few of the bad pipe traits I've encountered;

how about yours?
1) Airway too narrow so it catches and retains pipe cleaner fluff every time you clean it

2) Crack between the shank and the bowl

3) The filter adapter tube gives off plastic flavor

4) The patent vent in the shank reduces the flavor in the smoke

5) Finish too shiny-plasticy

6) Design and finish too dark, austere, and unattractive

7) Poorly aligned drilling

8) Overall too bulky and heavy

9) Uncomfortable bit

10) Muddy lumpy rustication

11) Too arty-showy so I'd feel like the pipe was smoking me

12) Bowl too heavy so you almost can't clench even to light it

13) Looks really cheap
I guess we could all go on. What are your bad pipe traits?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have given away a couple of pipes because they were too big or awkward. One was a HUGE Canadian with a hexagonal stem, stamped "Camiblath". I have no idea who made it, and I bought it in the 80's. The other was a one-off Edwards that was a lot bigger when I received it than I thought it would be.

All the other pipes I gave away because I decided that I didn't like the way they looked. I am, however, notorious for keeping pipes that I don't like to smoke, just because they look so darned good. One that I am enjoying now is the Butz Choquin D'Accord that only smokes cool when the temps drop below freezing....

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
A pipe that turns into a straw for your tobacco juice no matter how slow you smoke, or how dry your tobacco is.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"12) Bowl too heavy so you almost can't clench even to light it"
I haven't sold many pipes, but one was definitely passed along for this reason. One was a huge, gorgeous Ben Wade straight-grain that NO ONE would be able to hold in their mouth; it was like smoking a beautiful tree trunk. I bought it for its looks, without really thinking it through. I sold it to a pipe shop in Chicagoland about 25 years ago. . . and I saw it on SmokingPipes.com's estate-pipe sale pages this past year. So I'm not the only one who just couldn't live with the thing!
Bob

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
The wet pipe argument. And by extension those metal filter things you get in kaywoodies and the like.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I have a couple of pipes that smoke wet. Then, I learned about Erik's Stones from Nording. Place three to four stones in the bowl and they absorb any moisture while smoking and eliminates the gargling. They are good for a couple of bowls and just throw them away when they turn black. It also allows one to smoke just about all of the tobacco.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have probably sold 20 pipes that simply had a bowl that was to large for me. Wet smoking pipes, hell if I slober enough every pipe is. Also if it doesnt smoke well or give me some gut reaction of liking from looking at it, along the road it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.