PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
It wasn't Black Rock and it was more like a week. I bought Herself a TomTom navigation device from Amazon and they sent me an old model that had been programmed and didn't work. I sent it back and they sent me another one that wouldn't hold the programming. I have one enroute from TomTom themselves. My All in One Lexmark printer quit just as I was trying to print the shipping label for the TomTom. It now resides in the trash bin. It wouldn't fit while in one piece so I altered it. I quit counting pieces when I reached 22.

I took this Infernal Damned Machine upgraded to W7. He had it for 8 days but, being a Hewlett Packard, I needed the software bundle from HP. That was something I didn't get from the vendor when I bought it. He, the vendor, doesn't know what happened to my software but h was nice enough to offer to sell me W7 Pro for $250. Yeah, right. I called HP and explained what happened and after going through 5 different Pakistani's I finally got soneone herte in the States that spoke the same language I do and for a paultry $10.78, I should be recieving my software sometime in this lifetime.
rant finished.
Ain't life grand? :evil:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I have a love / hate relationship with technology too.
I was using an old Garmin on a trip last year that had old software, and the map on the screen showed me driving on the grass at 60 MPH. It looked pretty funny.
Now I just use the free Google Navigation App on my Droid.
I don't even have to type. I just speak into it for what I am looking for and I get a map and voice instructions.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yep, these marvels of technology are great, when they work. The process

you have to go thru to get information & service are designed to frustrate

you, so that buying a new one is a real option. Being an old codger in a

global community has it's bright side..., the primitive technology involved

in the use of a hammer requires no updates. :mrgreen:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I use the old fashioned method of travel

1: print out a map from Google maps

2: Misplace the map in the godawful mess in the van

3: Stop at a rest area and dig for said map

4: Faithfully follow the directions on the map

5: Find out that the information neglects several dozen detours

6: Stop and ask someone.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I use dead-reckoning. I just look on Google Earth to see...is my destination North, South, East, West? And then I look at the compass in my truck and bumble about in that direction until I eventually hit the place I'm trying to get to.

It is a poor method, but it is easy!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My solution is cancel the travel plans, spend the saved money on pipes and tobacco, turn off the computer and the phone, light up a big bowl and pour yourself a strong one, sit back, relax and read a book.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Years ago I tried to find the best possible route from our apartment to the hospital. My mapping program had me crossing the Fox River the wrong way on a one way road. FYI, my very in-labor wife took absolute control of the directions on that trip.
Winton

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Years ago my wifes grandfather had a set of maps made for our vacation from AAA .After getting lost three or four times following directions to the tee .I was getting peeved . The final straw was when we circled a a lake outside of Summerville CA only to find out the next morning that if we had made a left instead of a right we could have saved ourselves about 30 miles of a scenic drive . I promtly threw the biodegradeble maps out of said truck window and got a cheap compass in town and a state map . Always spec my cars with the compass mirror option now .

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Well, there's always this to consider:

untitled.jpg

Always think....GRATITUDE..for all of lifes hassles. :wink:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You know after sending food and trying to teach people to farm for over 50 years you would think they would catch on . Being a redneck I would catch that vulture light that sad ass excuse of a shelter on fire and roast him up for dinner . Problem solved ! :laughat:

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I have a bad habit of leaving my Mapquest printouts at home in the printer tray, so it usually ends up with me wondering how the hell I got where I am now, and where I go from here.
Thankfully, I got one of those internal compasses so I've never been lost, I just like to take the senic route.

Status
Not open for further replies.