PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
0032.jpg

This post is for Philip. Alot of us look with envy at his life on his sailboat and wish we could do the same. He says he sacrificed much to live the life he does and he feels the same about us and likes to see what we do for fun and enjoyment in our lives.
My son has been pestering me for a couple weeks to set up the tripod and backstop so he can practice his throwing star skills.
0042-1.jpg

0022-1.jpg

I built this tripod years ago from teepee poles given to me by an old friend who is no longer with us. The backstop is made from 4" thick oak slab lumber and easily absorbs the impact from throwing stars and knives.
0082.jpg

0053-1.jpg

0062.jpg

007-2.jpg

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Looks like great fun, and a really nice day for the middle of September. I also like the strategically placed large tree to catch any misses. My S&Ws go bang.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Mike, you have the house my mom wouldn't let me visit when I was a kid (though I would have DESPERATELY wanted to come over!)

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
You and your son do some cool stuff! I bet you are a great dad Mike. Thanks for the pics!

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
Nice, I have a set up in my yard too. Me and my brother throw everything from knives stars axes and short swords. Its so much fun. Its like a good game of horse shoes or darts but much more bad ass.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks like you had a good time and it looks like it would be fun. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with either one though.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Growing up I stayed with my grandfather and mother, he had a big Cyprus barn, he gave me his sons Kbar, my uncle who went from Algeria to France in ww2, my pastime was throwing it,25 to 30 ft I became quite good, later on I would ride my horse indian style , pass by the barn and throw, as I got older as pipe smokeing is relaxing to older men, this relaxed me, little did I know that one night in Asia it would save me and three of my buddies, good sport, keep that kid doing that he won"t get off track. The old cajun

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
That looks pretty fun, Mike. I'm a big fan of throwing things as a pastime, myself. Stones, sticks, whiffleballs, I've tried knives, never throwing stars though (yet). Why is throwing things so much fun?
@Cajun: Good God! That is a good lesson that all skills may come in handy down the line and self-defense is always something worth knowing.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Awesome! There are so few who practice the art of throwing knives, I'm glad to see you and your son are enjoying it. It's certainly an option when a gun isn't around.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys for the comments. I try to live by that advice I've heard -take a kid outside and do something fun it'll keep 'em straight. My theory is we as humans have been hurling projectiles for thousands of years so it's in our blood. The nice thing is today we can use these skills for fun and not just life or death survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.