Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My wife and son are bugging me to build a chicken coop. Do any of you keep back yard chickens? We are allowed 4 chickens no roosters are allowed for obvious reasons. We live a block from the foot hills and have plenty of night time critters and hawks during the day. So I will need a screened in run for them and to critter proof the coop. I have a skill saw, power drill and a few basic tools. If any one has tips, pics or basic plans that you could share that would be great!

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Seems like a lot of folks are getting into having their own chickens now... there has been a big stink in the Atlanta area about it.. seems like a lot of the metro area prohibits it, and they are forcing people to get rid of them.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Hey Buster

I threw out a thread a while back "crowing" about our 1st eggs from our girls. As much as I hate tending the durn things the eggs are nice.
Backyard Chickens is a great place for information and it has a huge number of photos from folks all over the US of their various coop and enclosure set-ups.
Hope this helps

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I have 32 ducks it's a hand full but fun. I lost a tamper and a duck came walking by with it about an hour a go. Hard to get mad at them.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I know a few folks that got rid if their chicken and started raising rabbits for meat. They said the chicken were too much work compared to rabbits, I don't know how true that is, but they were selling the rabbit meat to local butches and grocery stores.

wardrum

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2011
check out this site http://www.backyardchickens.com/ it helped us alot we started off only wanting 6 for eggs now we are at 22. lol I actually find them to be kind of relaxing to watch, and of course the eggs are way better than any you can buy in a supermarket.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks guys I have been looking at the "backyard chickens" site. Some of those coops are supper nice. I am looking for kind of nice and easy. My sons preschool had a few chickens and he loved them. The wife gave me a $100 Lowe's gift card but I have a feeling this is going to be WAY over a hundred bucks. The good thing about a project like this is that I will be to busy to get in much trouble. Also gives me an excuse to go to the hard ware store by my self for a while.
I think he would like rabbits also but that is another topic.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Research Chicken Tractors.

tractor2011e.jpg
Basically a small moveable cage. You will have to coop them up. I have a problem with bobcats and coons.

DSCN0858.jpg

Notice the feathers in that cat's mouth.
I buy through the mail from McMurray Hatchery.
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com
Can't beat fresh eggs and chicken meat with flavor.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Is that your tractor Chispa?
Yeah Buster, gonna be more than a C-note to set up for urban cackleberry farming. I've no idea how much has been spent so far but I do know those chickens will prolly never pay for their keep!
SWMBO likes em' so...

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I keep chickens. If you don't put 1/2 mesh wire inside to keep out snakes.. and 2x4 on the outside to keep out dogs and such you might as well not do anything. Has to go all around top, bottom, & sides. I have 7 hens a Old Roo. Not that he does the rooster thing much. He crows early AM. I've had him nearly 10 years. I have Rhonda Island Reds. I like their large brown eggs.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
My neighbor has two for now. Riggs the wonder dog hasn't figured out how to pick the lock and let himself in there and have feast. He will though.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Coop/chicken run is under construction. I am $200 over my $100 Lowes gift card and counting. The wife and son picked up 3 chicks today for $5 each. Three different breeds. I will try and post a pick or two if I get a chance? I'm trying to make every thing critter proof and that is easier said than done.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I raise rare-breed and show quality chickens, along with layers and meat birds. Let me know if there's anything I can answer. Keeping a few chickens has really caught on over the last few years. The majority of my customers come up from the 'burbs, which is great - helps keep American ruralism from suffering its last gasp.
As far as coops go: IMHO, most folks over-spend on chicken coops. Now, if you want it to look nice in the back-yard I can understand. But as far as utility, chickens don't need much. And they don't care how it looks. Plenty of good plans on-line but I tend to build with whatever I have on hand. I get a lot of wood and roofing materials from Craig's List. There's always someone pulling apart and old fence or deck and they just want the wood gone. Most of it is reusable for things like hutches and coops. You can let your birds free range if you have the space, and then just lock them in the coop at night. They will put themselves to bed ("The chickens always come home to roost"...). The key is to introduce them to their coop at night when they are sleepy (chickens go very groggy when they are asleep and they are easy to handle).
Make sure to feed your chickens a varied diet. This is especially important if they don't get a chance to free-range and scratch. Chickens are omniverous, so you can feed them plenty of table scraps. I find they are partial to things like grits, left over potato dishes, rice, etc. I also feed them whey (left over from cheese-making). Obviously layer crumbles would be the staple of their diet.
If you also keep a garden, you're in luck as the birds will provide excellent fertilizer. I also endorse the Back Yard Chickens website recommended above. Good bunch of folks and very helpful for Q/A.

wardrum

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2011
Sothron is right chickens dont care about looks and we feed ours everything pizza is a big hit with them. lol here is a couple of links to some of the coops i have built. Both were almost toatly free. http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=562341 http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7252981

Status
Not open for further replies.