PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
For those up us who have small ones around. Kids or grandkids that is. You will know that there are endless supply of glass baby foor jars. I used to just recycle them, but about 7 months ago I thought why not try them for storage. I have been washing and boiling them, and taking labels off. Granted they only hold about an 1 1/2 oz. But for short term they seem to be working really well so far. And are great for those 1-2 oz. samples I get every so often. And best of all they are free (well kinda).

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hey Dr
I would think 'short term' only because there is no air seal whatsoever.
Other than that, its a great idea

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Right! I havent tried them for anything really long. Mainly because they don't hold alot. but the lids actually do have a rubber seal on them. At least the Gerber ones.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. For really short term, I use zip lock bags. If these baby food jars work for you, you might

find a way to seal them better. For my purposes, they are just too small, with some of the smallish

canning jars providing storage for smaller, but not baby food jar, size quantities.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice idea! It looks like some Gerber product containers are both larger and resealable. They call it a NutriLock™ seal.

Cereals_SG_multigrain_MAIN.jpg

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
The stage three jars are about 3 1/2 inches tall those are the ones I have. I have had some in jars for a test of 7 months and they did great. They actually seal better then you my think.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was out in the shop when I came across a case of baby food jars (from my granddaughters) that I was going to put screws and nuts in. I checked, and they do have a seal formed inside the lid and actually pop when I opened a few. They would be great for tobacco storage while I'm camping. Thanks for the idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.