PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Can some one tell me about the average cost of cleaning a pipe an stem. I realize a lot of things can change the price but just average. They are all estate pipes an wouldn't think about smoking them until cleaned properly. They are all meerschaums I am talking about.

Mar 1, 2014
I've trimmed my routine down to using one pipecleaner and one Q-tip per bowl, with a bit of Isopropyl Alcohol for sanitation.
At Smokingpipes.com you can buy bulk pipecleaners for $1.01 per 56, giving you a price of $0.0180 per pipecleaner.

At WalMart you can buy 32fl-oz of 91% isopropyl alcohol for $2.58, which I'm going to say is good for about 1,000 bowls, so $0.00258 per use.

Lastly I like to rub down the bowl with a Q-tip, which costs $2.69/500 (can someone please tell me why packs of 1000 always cost significantly more?) and comes out to $0.00538 per stick.
Coming to total of $0.025995714 per bowl.

Or $0.020615714 if you skip the Q-tip.

Or if you use another pipecleaner instead of the Q-tip, $0.038651429 per bowl.

If you use Whiskey obviously the total is going to be a lot higher, most likely because you're using the supplies on yourself.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
So how do you sanitize the inside an outside of the bowl. Because I to have read never to use alcohol on meerschaums

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My understanding is you should never use alcohol on Meerschaum. It will seriously alter the color.
Alcohol softens meerschaum and screws with it's absorption properties. But you can use alcohol sparingly and briefly if you first preheat the bowl to harden the meer prior to exposing it briefly to the alcohol. Basically, don't use alcohol on a meer.
Depending on how dirty the airway and stem are, it could take a lot more than one pipe cleaner or 1 Q-tip, it could take dozens. Depends one the condition and what your standard is.
You can send these out to be professionally cleaned. Briarville is often mentioned as a good place to have meerschaums cleaned and restored. Then it becomes a matter of maintenance.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I've used sandpaper in the bowl and on top of a meer that had a lot of charring. Started out with a med-course grit and worked up to a very fine. It came out perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.