Autumn Walk by Jack Lee Blends (pipeinhand)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Jack Lee Blends (Pipeinhand) Autumn Walk
Halfling’s Lat?
I smoked my sample of Autumn Walk in a Longchamp Bulldog while walking the dogs and in my big Meerschaum first thing in the morning. The tobacco was moist, but not soggy. Still it needed some drying times so I set it out for a few minutes on a piece of paper.
Pouch note: a very pleasant mix of Vanilla and the smoke of Latakia. Neither seems to dominate, but they mix nicely.
Charring light: It was toasty and smoky as the Latakia comes forward, followed by a slight nuttiness.
True Light: The sweetness came through with a breath of smoke from the Latakia.
The Smoke: First of all I have to say that those who liked Halfling’s Leaf will love this blend. It is a true aromatic with a potent Vanilla-dominant aroma that reminds me of Dan Blue Note. The funny thing about this blend, is while it has an aromatic’s room note, it tastes like…tobacco! Good tobacco. Lurking beneath the vanilla room note is Oriental smoothness, Latakia smokiness and just a hint at that smoldering fungal taste that I love in my Balkans. I have to stress, though, that I wouldn’t call this a Lat bomb or even Lat-forward, taste-wise. Latakia is used as a condiment here, so while it’s present enough for lovers of the mild English, it’s reigned in enough to let the aro lovers do their thing. My wife even found the room note enjoyable which is unusual for any Latakia based blend. She usually describes a Latakia room note as “Yuck” or “Smoke” or some combination of the two. This one she called “Very Nice” and that is a rare thing, so big points for room note here.
It is on the moist side, so drying time will be necessary, but much like Halfling’s Leaf, it is mild on the tongue and though the moisture will tell your mouth to sip slower sometimes, I was able to walk the dogs and smoke without any burning. I tend to puff faster when we are out walking, but when I would feel that warmth, not unlike what you feel when trying a new VaPer from the tin, I backed off a little and everything was fine. It burned clean in the case of both smokes. I only needed a relight once when I set my Meer down to get a cup of coffee. Its flavor was consistent in both the briar and the Meer. I got more vanilla in the briar and a little more of the fungal undertone in the Meer so whatever you choose to smoke it in will be a pleasure. I jokingly gave it the nickname “Halfling’s Lat” because even though the flavors are different, the unique way in which Jack Lee puts an aromatic together is apparent from the first real puff, building the flavors around his choice of tobacco rather than the other way around.
It’s another good one and I’m happy to be the first to try it. You should, too!

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Thanks Baron, I am glad you got what I put into it. I love me some Lat but, sometimes I want the best of both worlds, Aro and English which is why I did this blend. When I started out on this 7 months ago, it had to be perfect and I think I did that, at least for me.
Halfling's Lat, you crack me up. lol

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Nice job Pipeinhand, I can't wait to try it and hopefully I will be reaching out to you very soon.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Coming soon...Summer Sangria. I've been eagerly anticipating this one! I will probably enjoy that one at night with some Blackberry Mead ar maybe some actual Sangria!
Autumn Walk I tried at first, where else, but on a walk! After I put the dogs back in the house, I sat outside and finished the bowl. The flavor never got tiresome or cloying. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I tried it, but it's a great smoke and will be a nice change of pace, both for Lat lovers and aro lovers who want to see what Latakia can do as a condiment.I had originally tried to sauce Miskatonic, but couldn't get the Lat to work with the sauce, so this is quite an accomplishment.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm pretty sure we can make that happen. How about 8oz for a .750l bottle? I have a 2-year old blackberry mead called Black Number One That is the bomb! I also have a Cyser that's almost 2, an apple wine that is older than that, a Cranberry Melomel that was aged 2 years in the fermenter and a poppy seed wine that I think is 4 years old, but I don't quite remember.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Thought you'd like that. Except for the cranberry, it's all my Reserve stuff, that I hold back and age for my own enjoyment. I have a straight mead from 2007, but you can't have that one! :nana:
What you chose you will like. A Lot!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
When I say "Halfling's Lat" I am referring to pipeinhand's original aromatic blend. "Halfling's Leaf".
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/halflings-leaf-review-by-baron-samedi

ravenranger

Lurker
Feb 15, 2016
This is a batch of Autumn Walk received February 2016:
Upon opening the bag, you are greeted with the scent of wood smoke and an underlying tone of single malt scotch (chocolate, plum, and a hint of spice). Smoked in a vintage Grabow Lark briar, the toasting light opens a bit of brightness with a dry grassiness and a hint of ripe apple. Continuing throughout the bowl is mellow smokiness mingled with a rich sweet nutty flavor and a deep peatiness. Autumn Walk is aptly named as it perfectly captures the flavors of a crisp Fall day with wood smoke in the distance, new fallen leaves underfoot, and your favorite hound by your side. The room note is a pleasant wood smoke with rich leather and a hint of cocoa.
This is a really nice smoke.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Great review, thanks for sharing. I've thought about taking a pipe when walking my Chocolate Lab, but haven't done it yet. This review may do the trick for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.