PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
As a young man, I preferred autumn to all other seasons. The cool weather. The wonderful foliage (I grew up in New England). The smell of leaves on the ground. The early frosts in the morning. I loved it all.
As I've gotten older (56 now), have moved to the Cleveland area where autumn is just another reason to rain (and no foliage to speak of), spring has become my favorite season.
But fall is still magnificent smoking weather.
I'm an outdoor smoker. Even if my wife would allow me to smoke indoors (not in a million years), I'd still prefer to smoke outside. And this cooler weather, the leaves falling from the pin oak near the back deck - it's just the perfect weather for pipe smoking.
Along with rain, we get plenty of wind here in Cleveland. So matches are never really an option. And during the autumn, my butane lighters are pretty much useless. And so I have several Zippos with pipe inserts.
With today's morning mail there arrived two packages: one included a Zippo hand warmer (for winter) and yet another Zippo lighter with pipe insert - this time from the "street" series. The other package contained a Missouri Meerschaum Freehand. I own several of the smaller MMs - and think they're great smokers at any price. And I must say that this Freehand is one stout pipe. And so this afternoon's smoke, when my wife has some of her lady friends over to make jewelry, will be some Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream in my new MM Freehand, fired up with my new Zippo pipe lighter.
It just won't get any better than this.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Absolutely. It's my favourite season and a pipe only makes it sweeter. The Zippo with the insert is a good idea - my Peterson Old-Boy style lighter is a lovely thing but just can't deal with any kind of wind.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I whole-heartedly agree! As an outside-only smoker as well, throughout the summer I've only had a pipe whenever I mowed the grass. SE Virginia is too hot during the summer for this northern transplant to be outside for any other reason. Now that reasonable temps have returned I am looking forward to lighting up a few extra times during the week!

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, time to chase grouse in the woods and pause to rest, smoke a pipe and sip some water. Repeat as necessary.
Dave

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've always been a Fall guy: cooler weather, leaves change, Halloween, the serious food holidays are coming, I dress better since I wear t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops through spring and summer. Once Fall rolls around it is button up shirts, slacks, nice denim, cardigan sweaters, ties, patterned socks, leather boots and shoes, jackets, tweed ...
Oh yeah, and the weather for pipe smoking is great too.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Autumn is my favorite season, and October my very favorite month. Of the former the late writer Corey Ford (who was an ardent pipe-smoker) once said, "It's the very height of creation--it is the reason to everything, it's Nature's ambition. What in summer can equal their golds and greys, their maroons and oranges? Autumn, with its rich memory of all that has gone before,--it's the height, man, it's the height."
I couldn't agree more, Mr. Ford!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I grew up near Cleveland so know about the changeable weather. Does Cleveland have a local pipe club? A good tobacconist?
Unfortunately, Cleveland has neither. Cleveland is a cigar town. Long ago there were several good pipe and cigar stores downtown. There is a suburban smoking loung/B&M store, but it caters primarily to cigar smokers.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Today is the first day of sticking snow and it's unlikely we will see any reprieve till spring. :|

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I love the fall, and pipe smoking makes it better as a New Yorker and outside pipe smoker only (I doubt my fiance will let me smoke inside) summers can get to hot some days, and winter is just to cold at times, so fall is the best time for me going up state and smoking my pipe walking down a nature trail enjoying nature, and the peace and quiet. I am excited, Just ordered my butternut barley ( my fall to to tobacco)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I hope things don't turn too quickly! I wanted to get out another time or two for an overnight pipe smoking, star gazing camping trip in the rough. Oct is one of my favorite months for just such an activity.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Andy, I agree that autumn is the best pipe smoking weather. Nothing better than a cool evening, a fire in the pit, a pipe full of something good, and a little glass of something brown. Enjoy your new acquisitions. I must say, however, that daimyo's post made me laugh out loud. Smoking outside in Alaska must be a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.