PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I'm getting the PAD bug again and my fund is such that, come the beginning of the month, I can get another nice estate pipe. I've settled on either an Estella or a Savinelli Autograph. I have my eye on a couple of each and they recently seem to be going in the same ballpark for price on an auction site and Etsy. So the question is this, which would you have and why? If you own both, which do you prefer? The buzz is that the Estella is an Autograph second so if they are the same price, why would you go for the Estella? (That last was not a snobby question, a real one) I like the look of both and there are a ton of shapes available so I have some research to do and this forum tends to be a great place to start.
Thanks,

Dave

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dave:
I've yet to see an Estella that wasn't blasted to hell and gone. A smooth finish Estella might be out there I just haven't locked eyes on one yet.
Could that be a distinguishing feature? When that one fatal flaw is found, to cull it fom the Autograph pile, they get blasted? I'm also under the impression that the gate-cut flaw is usually cosmetic.
You've asked a great question and I'm looking forward to the response(s).
BTW, 7 day countdown has begun to Season 2 of "Longmire".
Jim

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the response.
I've yet to see an Estella that wasn't blasted to hell and gone. A smooth finish Estella might be out there I just haven't locked eyes on one yet.
As far as I can work out, that is the way with Estellas. One era seems to have a deep blast and the other seems to be a deep blast with "veins" running up and down it. I usually prefer smooth but sometimes a good blast will catch my eye. I've heard that they both smoke great so if they both smoke equally and it's just down to aesthetics, that will be an easy choice for me.
BTW, 7 day countdown has begun to Season 2 of "Longmire".
Yee-ha. Looking forward to that one. Hoping for a lot of character development in Walt and Vic this time around.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Capt I prefer the Estella's, I believe they will smoke cooler due to the rustication, also will not show a little rough handling, just my preference , I just like craggy pipes over smooth, when I started my collection they were dirt cheap and yes they have gone up but are still a good buy, just bought a Estella poker on e-bay, paid a little more than I would have liked but I had never seen a poker in that brand.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
There is an Estella on Etsy for $60 right now that looks to be in good shape although the poster has it pictured with the stem upside down.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
+1 to Bradley's comments -- My Estella Canadian is the coolest, cleanest-smoking pipe I own, and after 30+ years of rough handling, still looks brand new.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Tbradsim1..... That the one that sold for $93? I was looking at that too but didn't pull the trigger. Nice pick up! I like my Oom Paul Estella and am looking at adding more styles to the collection.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
+1 Cajun . I the one I got from the Old Cajun is beautiful , and smokes like a dream . It is one of the pipes I will never part with .

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I'm actually sort of surprised that so many prefer the Estella but glad to hear it. Too bad the one here will be gone before I'll be able to get the funds together but that's the way it goes. I'm betting there are many more nice ones out there.
There is an Estella on Etsy for $60 right now that looks to be in good shape although the poster has it pictured with the stem upside down.
Love that one but it looks like I'm too late for it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have several Estellas and they are all great smokers. I always considered the line to be under rated and a good value for the money. The Non-Pareil line are good pipes, too.

Aug 1, 2012
It was there last night and had been for months
Yeah, I had it on my radar for a while but the $69 price tag was holding me up. It was a nice shape though.
Edit: I love Etsy, every once in a while you get a really great pipe at a nice price.

Aug 1, 2012
Found an Estella in town while visiting my parents. It is HUGE and actually didn't cost too much at all. Here's a pic.
estella-600x450.jpg

Now we get to see how it cleans up and smokes.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
It's only been in the last year or so that the prices of Estellas have started to climb significantly on ebay. Before that it was fairly common to get a nice one for $30-$40. The ones I have are consistently good smokers and the "stucco" or "mud cake" rustication does seem to keep the bowl cooler. Nearly all of them are very large and all have Lucite stems.
They are sometimes referred to as Autograph seconds, but are a completely separate series. There are Autograph seconds around but they're very different from the Estellas. Most of the seconds are indistinguishable from true Autographs at a distance. They have the same style as Autographs and almost always share the distinctive sculptured stems. The flaw that kept them from making the grade as Autographs is usually poor/irregular grain on one area of the pipe, although some do have fills. If the stem is marked at all (not all are) it will be with the "snake" style loge rather than the autograph of Achille Savinelli. The markings on the shank can vary a great deal. Nearly all are stamped HAND MADE, well over half of the ones I've seen are stamped ITALY, a few are stamped SAVINELLI. Some of the seconds will have two of those stamps, it's uncommon to see all three on the same pipe.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I just purchased this Estalla 515 EX on eBay for $46 USD and I'm looking forward to smoking it. It's my first Savinelli

BTW I love the Estella you got pictured above CaptainStig
Sorry I also posted this pic in another Estella post .. Will stop here so as not to spam

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I just sold a really nice Autograph estate pretty reasonably priced. That one was sandblasted - but gorgeous ring blast.
If you like big pipes, Autographs and Estellas are a great thing. Good luck on your hunt.
I think that there isn't much difference between the two lines, only that I have never seen an Autograph actually rusticated.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I have one of each I purchased some years ago. They both smoke great. I heard of Estella's being Autograph seconds but have never been able to figure out what could be "wrong" on my Estella. It is stamped "Estella" with the Savinelli symbol of an "S" inside a triangular shape with two small pipes above the triangle. It is also stamped "Italy" and "606".
The Estella is sandblasted with a light colored stain and the Autograph is rusticated with a black stain but the rim is smooth. It looks great and they both have big bowls. Good for kicking back for a long, leisurely smoke.
Dave

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Funny, I just BOUGHT a lovely estate Autograph that had a gorgeous ring... hey wait a tick! Raven, you rascal! Thanks again for that deal! I LOVE the pipes.
That Davison smokes like a dream...
The Autograph does too!
:worship:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Back on point, though. I have 2 Estellas, an oom paul and some crazy wide stemmed weird thing that could only come from Italy.
They both smoke like a dream and I like them a LOT.
As a final point: I do not mind bringing up year old posts. I think it keeps things interesting.
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.